Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/youre-right-dear-i-only-have-%24100-worth-fabric-hah-t87346.html)

chris_quilts 01-08-2011 04:16 PM

Update: I did talk to our insurance guy. We have an obscene amount of replacement cost coverage on our house. I tried to talk to him and another person about the sewing stash and machines and both said that those items were covered under the replacement cost. I believe the raplcement cost is stuff alone but I should clarify that. Quilts, sometimes, can be covered under an art writer/rider but it depends upon its age and other aspects of the quilt. Both assumed that a quilt was only worth about $100 and were shocked to hear about the prices of some quilts I've seen. Neither were quilters and did not come from a line of quilters. I really think this is an individual conversation between whoever's house is involved and the insurance people. I do know I need to call back and find out what exactly is meant /covered under replacement cost. If it's house and contents, we need to increase our coverage. He did say that pictures would be helpful - stored elsewhere, of course. I did get a writer for my jewelry but have to get my wedding ring appraised for it's replacement cost soon. Hope this helps someone. FYI: Neither could believe how many machines I own or the amount of stash I have. :)

biscuitqueen 01-09-2011 11:09 AM

Men in general are clueless, unless like said, come from any form of craft/art of any kind.

jetnica 01-09-2011 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jetnica
update -- you CAN get renter's insurance if your name is not on the lease!

My insurance guy called late Friday afternoon and I'm meeting with him Monday to get renter's insurance for my quilting stuff (and probably my jewelry) -- while the bf's insurance can do everything else!

OMG -- I'm so embarrased! I just cleaned/organized/photographed my sewing room in order to be ready for my meeting tomorrow with the insurance guy.

I think I may have a problem. I didn't know how much I really had. And I haven't even started to do the math on how much it's all worth!! ACK!!

All Finished -- and too exhausted to sew!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156627[/ATTACH]

QultingaddictUK 01-09-2011 02:03 PM

OMG Jetnica that even puts me to shame :shock:

sandpat 01-09-2011 05:43 PM

LOL...well, at least your room is clean!

jetnica 01-09-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
LOL...well, at least your room is clean!

Very true -- i cleaned and organized for about 4 hours today -- no sewing, but i feel better about going back there.

too bad tomorrow is planned out with errands and such. :(

at least i'll be ready to sew this weekend!

CraftyGardenMom 01-09-2011 07:00 PM

Jessica, your quilt room is gorgeous!!!

So glad to see many of you are in the process (or seriously considering) of making sure your quilt supplies are covered. I later called back and added the sewing machine and other supply values plus approx. value of my quilts.

Our agent called me back on Friday and said, "The only person in the office who believed me when I told them how much quilt stuff you had was our office manager....she's a jewelry crafter!" :lol:

jdavis 01-19-2011 04:22 PM

Too funny!
But I would be more concerned with having sufficient coverage on your quilts. You may have to provide written appraisals in order to get the true value.

Sandygirl 03-26-2013 04:01 AM

My husband does not say a word about my sewing and related machines and supplies. But that is an advantage for not getting married until midlife. i work and I cover the costs. I should mAke sure that they are covered on the homeowners tho. Don't forget the big screen TVs, his tools and toys, etc. lets be honest, households accumulate stuff.

My DH had a $$$ wake up call when I was shopping for a new sewing machine 7 seven years ago.....as did I! I mentioned to him recently, that I want to upgrade it. He did not blink! He even has asked "when you " questions. Too funny!

Insurance is too important to ignore.

Sandy

BellaBoo 03-26-2013 04:56 AM

We upped our content coverage to an obscene amount and lowered the house value amount. (no mortgage) Our insurance cost was reduced almost half and we have more dollar coverage then before. There are so many ways to get the most for your money but most insurance agents don't think outside the box or tell you there is a way out of the box!