Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing free pattern >

Printing free pattern

Printing free pattern

Old 08-28-2017, 09:47 AM

Default Printing free pattern

I received an e-mail from free-quilting.com which said that I could download a free quilt pattern. I Love the pattern "Turning Leaves" on that site. However they want me to download a screen that my computer says can change my settings and access other sites.

I am not computer savvy enough to know if this can open up my computer for viruses, etc.

I know that some of you helpful women out there are Very computer savvy.
Is there a way that I can get this free pattern without damaging or infecting my computer. Computer is old and I am sick of paying for cleaning it up.

Thank you for any help provided.

sailsablazin

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-28-2017 at 10:17 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 08-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

well i found two more places for a pattern by that name but both say downloadable. I don't like that either. I like the ones that open right up and i print and then close . maybe someone will do better for you. Not sure which design it is anyway.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

here is a link to the pattern... http://www.free-quilting.com/detail....499&cat_id=432
one has to join to download. i do not join any sites. there are so many patterns for me to make, it is not worth joining multiple sites to get everything that is free. it's just their way of being able to advertise to you
Old 08-28-2017, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

What computer are you using? Do you have any internet security on it? If it has been cleaned up previously, whoever did it should have downloaded some free security for you.

In order to see if I could reproduce your issue, I went to that website, joined (what a way to get a lot of junk email!), searched for the Turning Leaves pattern, clicked on it, and clicked on the download. It downloaded just fine. I got no warning messages at all. My computer is Windows 10 and my dh has put a *lot* of good security on it (that we pay for).

I am wondering if your computer is infected with something that is giving you this warning. You said the site wanted you to download a screen, but I saw nothing like that. I had to go through several screens when signing up and was careful not to check anything that would have resulted in marketing emails coming to me. I had to go to my email account in order to activate the site's account (they want to make sure I didn't give them a fake email). The download itself was seamless. So I'm wondering at exactly what point you got the warning.

Edit: The download is a PDF, so I think you need to have Acrobat Reader to open it. (I believe Acrobat Reader is a free download. It is software that allows you to open PDFs.)

Last edited by Prism99; 08-28-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:44 PM

I always run Norton and Malwarebytes on the advice of the IT guy at the office. I think its really good. I've had no problems with virus', but I'm also careful of what sites I download from.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:20 PM

I have had the same thing happen to me on this site and one other when I want to download a "free" pattern. I don't want the pattern bad enough to give them control of my computer and have them choose my browser.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:24 PM

Maybe this will help, if you want to buy, it is in this book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...3958794&sr=8-1

I think it is in another book also, but don't have more time to look. I just remembered I saw it the other day when I was looking for something else. Cheaper than redoing the computer again, if you don't want to download, and there are some other nice quilts in the book, too.

Last edited by yngldy; 08-28-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Try Googling the exact warning. Sometimes you can find information that will tell you what it is (hoax or for real) and what to do about it.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:01 AM

I have the downloaded pattern and can send it to you if you send me your address in a private message.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:14 AM

or you can always go to local library and use their computer...and get it printed off...