Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with faded fabric after first wash! >

Problem with faded fabric after first wash!

Problem with faded fabric after first wash!

Old 11-03-2016, 11:27 AM

I had that happen before also. I bought it from a good source online that has mostly name brand like Moda, Kaufman, Riley Blake etc. so I never dreamed it would fade. I always had good luck with fabric I purchased there. Anyways it faded really bad so don't know what happened. I ended up putting it on my bed because I couldn't gift something like that. Very disappointing. I used to always wash fabric when it came in the door but I quit when there was so much talk about it. Now I think I will start pre-washing again just to avoid this
Old 11-04-2016, 12:06 PM

There are products available which will remedy such a problem to an extent. I had started my very first bed-sized quilt in 2010 (a wedding gift for my nephew and his bride). That quilt was embroidered on white with bright red borders. The red fabric I purchased bled horribly, but I discovered this BEFORE I cut the borders. Thus began my search for a product that would 'set' the dye. After a futile search locally, I searched on the internet. I found Rit Dye Fixative, which is a product that works. Treating the fabric as instructed will, in most cases, set the dye permanently. I make it a policy to test the fabric I am going to use by cutting a narrow strip (1/2" X 6") by placing it in a glass of hottest tap water available. If it bleeds, I treat it with this product, then re-test it. It is worth the testing! Then, DISCRETION IS THE BETTER PART OF VALOR. I ALWAYS WASH QUILTS USING COLOR CATCHERS!
Jeanette

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 11-04-2016 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Addit