Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem:  Fusible applique >

Problem: Fusible applique

Problem: Fusible applique

Old 05-12-2014, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by MDQuilter View Post
Thanks you guys. I decided to go ahead and sew them down, better safe than sorry. Now I have another problem...What do you do about the holes the needle leaves in the fused fabric? I'm already using a 65/9 needle and there are still holes.
I know this is a done deal, but I'd like to toss in some lessons learned that may help you for next time.

There are a great many variables in how fusible will behave in any particular case: the brand you used; whether your fabric was pre-washed and dried without fabric softeners; if it was applied according to the manufacturer's instructions for pressing setting, time and temp; what the humidity was at the time; how long it was allowed to set up; what type of fabric you used (print, batik, hand dyed); things like that.

I've been quilting with raw edge fusible appliqué for many years and almost never stitch along the edges now that fusibles have improved so much. In the few cases where I do, it's a fairly long straight stitch an eighth of an inch from the edge purely as a design element, never satin or zig-zag right on the edge. My work is not intended to be machine washed, but it is always wet blocked, gets folded fairly often, and travels, all with no ill effects on the edges.

Next time you want to try this technique, consider making two small samples. Stitch the edges of one but not the other. Toss them both in the washer and see what happens. Then try the dryer. You'll find out which way to go with much less risk than waiting till you've finished your project. I would also suggest writing down the results for future reference, especially if you wind up 'brand shopping' for 'your' perfect fusible.

Best of luck with the needle holes...especially the ones through three or four layers of fused fabric!
Old 05-13-2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
[snip]

Next time you want to try this technique, consider making two small samples. Stitch the edges of one but not the other. Toss them both in the washer and see what happens. Then try the dryer. You'll find out which way to go with much less risk than waiting till you've finished your project. I would also suggest writing down the results for future reference, especially if you wind up 'brand shopping' for 'your' perfect fusible.

Best of luck with the needle holes...especially the ones through three or four layers of fused fabric!
Thanks! This is a good idea!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:36 PM

Ghostrider, what is your favorite fusible, if you don't mind sharing?
Old 05-14-2014, 06:06 AM

I don't mind at all, love to share. I use Wonder Under (Pellon 805).

Some tips and tricks from Laura Wasilowski.
http://artfabrik.blogspot.com/p/fusing-tips.html
Old 05-14-2014, 01:55 PM

Thank you, that is what I bought for my Toni Whitney kit. That link was full of info!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:48 AM

She's a great resource for hand embroidery stitches as well. Check her Thread-u-cation section if you're interested.