Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with fusible appliqué >

Problem with fusible appliqué

Problem with fusible appliqué

Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 AM

Default Problem with fusible appliqué

Yesterday the pumpkin seed template arrived from MSQC, so this morning I went to my sewing cave because I had decided to make a tablerunner to check it out. Watched the tute again, just to make sure...pulled fabs, cut seeds, used GO to cut 5" squares, found my fusible interface, cut that....and began.....it was fun making the blocks...so then I began to sew two blocks together using the 1/4" foot as usual........sewed up to the "bulk" created by the two petals coming together....stitches would not connect.......tried using the gig-a-ma-gig(?) that comes w/accesories....did not work, so removed that and tried just feeding it thru.....instead it went around that bulk thus made a crooked narrower seam at that point???not acceptable! And, I do sew slow so here I am asking for hints.......I do now recall in the tute Jennie said to "Trim those corners" before flipping out....now I think I know why...maybe I did not "trim" high enough up on that petal....I did this with my BL ellure +, after I send this I am going to go back and try this on my "older" Viking......this needs a machine that "travels" over different thicknesses as it sews...like my long ago Singer did.....then I am going to call the dealer I purchased this BL from 3 yrs ago and listen to her recommendation on how to do this........I'm thinking maybe I should move that needle way to the right, first change the 1/4" foot, but then I'd have to almost draw that 1/4" seam allowance on fabric...... I writing to let others know if they do this pattern there may be a problem......or it might just be me........
Old 02-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Was it the new tutorial where you applique the petals to form the Pumpkin seed design? I think rather than seeing along the edge, I would use my buttonhole stitch or zig zag so just oart if the stitch is on the applique. If this is not the same pattern .....as SNL Rosanna Danna used to say...never mind.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:43 AM

are you talking about the orange peel? or is the pumpkin seed different tutorial ............if it's the orange peel she dose say to keep the points of the orange peel a 1/4 inch from the edge to allow for the seam. they don't get sewn into the seam. el burns had a orange seed pattern done this exact way I think it was free. i had no problems with it.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
.sewed up to the "bulk" created by the two petals coming together....stitches would not connect...
I'm confused by this explanation. I get that you're trying to sew 2 blocks together, but what do you mean, the stitches would not connect?
Old 02-10-2015, 07:26 PM

I will be watching this post as I want to make this quilt to...I didn't send for the templet I had my hubby cut one out for me out of pelxiglass..and it works great..I got the pattern off the internet and just copied it onto the plexiglass ...can't wait to see all the replays to this post...
Old 02-11-2015, 07:01 AM

....sorry I called it pumpkin seed, she called it orange peel...same one...... Yes, I did trim the seam allowance at the points to about 1/8" before flipping out and yes I did place it with the space of 1/4" at edges allowing for attaching block seam....the skipping stitches occurred because as I was sewing the two blocks together the left edge of the foot was having to go over that bulk...and I guess throwing the stitch mechanism to not connect, or something and it was not making the locking stitch a sewing machine makes......just a line of thread, until it passed the bulk.......The first time it just jogged over to the right, stitched but the seam was cockeyed...it left the line of thread when I went back and forced it to stitch over that bulk.....

So, after I posted that first post, I went back and turned on my 10 yr+Viking, ripped out the mess BL made, set it under and when it got to the bulk, it just floated over and sewed! So that machine, like my dearly departed OLD singer has the ability to adjust thicknesses as it sews.
Thinking there must be a solution for BL.....went back and found the icon that moved the needle far to the left....ok, that worked.....so it too will sew over various thicknesses, but I must remember to move that needle.....today, I think I will call the dealer and talk......and the next time I'm at JAF I will check out the Vikings...........

So do an experiment with your machines.......sew two pieces together, then without doing anything add 4 more pieces in its path and see if it takes it...I'm curious...thanx for being here....
Old 02-11-2015, 05:46 PM

I was thinking if you were talking about skipped stitches, you could switch to a larger needle and that should work.

Glad you got the problem resolved.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:25 PM

belive it or not I changed to a smaller needle and sharp not universal they are not as sharp
Old 02-12-2015, 03:22 AM

I had a pattern that had way to much bulk in the seam intersection, It was suggested to me that I start my seams in the bulky area and sew outward. It helped!
Old 02-12-2015, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Judylee2 View Post
I had a pattern that had way to much bulk in the seam intersection, It was suggested to me that I start my seams in the bulky area and sew outward. It helped!
I'll try that too.

I don't think a larger needle would help...I have a quilting needle on the BL and the Viking.....and actually I only change if I'm doing something other than sewing fabric, which is rare to nil....I think it's just how the machine is constructed...one has the " floating" ability--- Viking, and BL does not......

I will try the going from bulk to thin, just to see what happens....