Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Problem >

A Problem

A Problem

Old 11-20-2008, 02:32 AM

I have never worked with chenille. But tied sounds best if you do not have a walking foot. Welcome from Mass.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:34 AM

I know exactly where you are coming from. I too found early in my quilting a simple block type nine patch w/chenille. I too bought the kit...came home and made that quilt. The chenille was difficult to cut trying to keep it straight..for it wanted to move. Once the top was done and I spent the next 2 weeks still dechenilling my sewing area...I sent it off to be quilted!:))I decided at that point it was too thick for me and I was sick of the shedding;))Love the look and the texture but geeze what a pain! If I were to quilt it on my machine the only way would be to thread baste it due to the thickness. And, then go w/it from there however you want...movement such as stippling (which would have to be big stippling or you will loose the plush)or straight line quilting done w/a stitch reg. that replaces the sewing foot you have on your machine at the moment. Keep us posted on the progress!! You are one determined quilter that I am sure we will see some great quilts coming from you!!:))Skeat
Old 11-20-2008, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Purley

Anyway, I got the top finished and then I decided to safety pin the layers together and stitch in the ditch. But things are not going well!! The quilt is just a single bed size but I am getting bogged down with that "sausage" that you have to roll up when you are working on one end of the quilt. Then, if I go horizontally one way (across the short side) - I have this huge sausage and when I get to the end and try to turn - well I just about tear my hair out trying to pull the "sausage" back through the machine to go in the opposite direction.
If you're talking about actually handling the bulk of the quilt while you're trying to quilt it... I feel your pain. This issue is what has stopped me so far, from trying to make anything bigger than a table runner or wall hanging.

I don't know how people manage beautiful quilting on bed sized quilts, made on little bitty sewing machines (non-longarms).

I really don't know how you manage the bulk of a large quilt through that small opening in the sewing machine. Even the small projects I work on can make me wanna pull my hair out.

Maybe that's why a lot of people just make the quilt tops and then send them out for quilting by someone with a longarm machine. But I don't want to and can't afford that. Plus, I want the satisfaction of being able to do it myself.

So, question to you quilting veterans... How do you manage the bulk of a quilt while quilting on a standard sewing machine? I know about rolling up the excess and all that. Even doing that, doesn't seem to help much. :?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 AM

I think haveing a walking foot would ease some of the frustration. It feeds top and bottom layers together at the same time. Soem people call it the even feed foot.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 AM

Welcome from Indiana!

I think I'd either tie this one or send it out to be professionally quilted. Please don't get discouraged and keep on quiltin' :wink: :wink:
Old 11-20-2008, 07:38 AM

I have found that rolling the quilt makes it too big to fit through a small throat. I tend to pull through the sides and try to get as much in fron of and behind my sewing machine as possible. Much easier for me to manage. I do not try to turn the quilt, just pull it out, turn it, then re-feed. I was able to do a queen-size this way. Not quickly or easily, but it can be done. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Welcome from Indiana!

I think I'd either tie this one or send it out to be professionally quilted. Please don't get discouraged and keep on quiltin' :wink: :wink:
I encourage the quilter to do the tying. The satisfaction you get from completing it yourself will be great. And the practice will be good. Use a floss that blends well with the chenille. And good luck. You will go far with quilting.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:48 AM

With chenille as bulky as it is I would do the tying, that will leave the quilt looser and a better 'feel' to the quilt, the quilting might not show up and/or detract from the chenille.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:58 AM

I know that my mom uses her tiny machine to quilt, but she uses a method she calls "quilt as you go" ?? I am not familiar with how it works, I have a long arm.

But I tried long ago to do a baby quilt on my regular machine and ended up in tears. At that time, I had never heard of a walking foot. It bunched up on me too. The bottom fabric and top fabric are not moving at the same pace.