Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The problem with UFO's is..... >

The problem with UFO's is.....

The problem with UFO's is.....

Old 02-05-2011, 08:18 AM

I read somewhere this one lady put some of her UFO's in baggies/bags and put a receipents name on it. After she dies those bags go to aformentioned people. They in turn think how nice she thought of me, in reality it could be payback of some type.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:31 AM

lol, how funny :D
Old 02-05-2011, 09:17 AM

I've been the receipient of several ufo's from the area freecycle list. One dubbed the world's ugliest, but I'm learning a lot by finishing up these projects someone gave up on.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
that you unpack the thing, look at it and say "What the BLEEP was I thinking when I did _________."

Then you find the baggie of mystery pieces and the inevitable thought of "What in the world is this piece of fabric for and why is it cut in this peculiar way?" is soon to follow.

Finally you realize WHY this is a UFO. You pour yourself a glass of wine and grab the instructions and a seam ripper.

LOL .... I'm new to this hobby and I'm quickly learning how to use a seam ripper. A couple ladies who are seasoned in our group were having at it on Wednesday ripping away at things they had started stitching, cussing the whole time they were. :-)
Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2 Doods
I skipped the wine and went straight for the chocolate martini! I have one UFO that I need to figure out where I left off and how to get all the blocks to fit....UGH! I should have finished it way back when.
Chocolate martini...haven't had one of those in years, and had forgotten that it is the perfect blend of alcohol and chocolate. Too bad I live in a dry county!

Seriously, I have a UFO from the '80s that I pulled out of the box last year. Loads of mistakes in it, and I decided to leave all of them in but one. There was just too much sashing on one row and it looked like it was gathered! So I fixed that, but left in all the miscut blocks and errant points. What was I thinking (or drinking) when I decided to hand quilt the thing, I cannot tell you. I just need more of it now!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Ah, you've found the dark secret of the UFO's. When you put them away, like in a closet, they come to life when you go to sleep. They gang up together to wreak havoc on our minds by losing their pattern directions, getting mixed up with other projects, hiding their major block pieces, and breeding indiscriminately.. that's why they're always such a mess when you find them!
BTW, socks join in on the conspiracy!
LOL!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Ladies, rather than throw them out, I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Let's have a UFO swap. Those wishing to receive a UFO can announce our intention, and senders can contact us via PM for our addresses. Recipients have no choice in what we receive. Once we receive it, we can do something with it, or pass it on to a new recipient. The only thing we cannot do is to return it to the original sender. The first sender has the option of being a receiver or not. She may just run screaming from the mention of any other UFOs.

2) Sew them together in any way at all, and them cut them up for bindings.

What do y'all think? I am willing to receive.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 AM

I've been known to throw those pieces in the scrap bag instead of putting them back in the UFO stack!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:28 PM

I found a cross stitch project the other day. It has handprints inked on the fabric. The handprints are of my nephew when he was a baby (months old) he is only 20 now.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:43 PM

So at least one of you thinks the UFO's reproduce in the dark. I am there with you.

I TRY to only have one project at a time but sometimes you hit a wall. Fabric problems, ability issues, dont like the project, etc. I have 9 UFO's right now. That isnt projects that havent been started ;) which is another subject.

I decided I am going start fitting them into my quilting schedule alternating them with a new project,with hopes to have most of them cleaned up this year. Most are laps, one twin, one king, one purse and one little wallhanging.