Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problems calculating rectangular section of pin wheel. >

Problems calculating rectangular section of pin wheel.

Problems calculating rectangular section of pin wheel.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:42 PM

I love your pinwheels! It looks like you are doing a very nice job! I think Barb44 is on the right track.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb44
The rectangles are twice the length of the square. If the squares made by HST are 4" finished, the rectangle is 8" finished. Cut 2 rectangles 8 1/2" by 4 1/2" put them together and sew diagonally. Or make them a little bigger and trim to size.

That is a cute quilt. You really have to look at it a while to figure it out.
That does not work with the rectangles - you end up with a cute kite shape when you cut them apart

Do what Holice suggested.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:30 AM

Thank you all so much for your advice.
I did draft it originally and added seam allowances but the rec's seem to have a mind of their own when sewn together. The math with triangles etc. really confuses me.
I think I will have to make and trim as suggested by many of you.
Don't give me the credit for the one in the picture, I saw it at a show and I was fascinated by it. One of those "have to make it" quilts. I only hope mine will be as good.
I will strive to get it licked and will let you all see. Many thanks again, you are great.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 AM

I knew I had a sheet with that information. From 'Quick Quilts' 1997. Add 5/8 to the short side and 1 1/4 to the long side, using the finished measurement of the rectangle. Cut the rectangles diagonally. I hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE
I'd start with the rectangles and get it figured out first, then move to the HST.

Sandwich together two rectangles, both with right side up.
Draw diagonal from corner to corner.
Take the top one on the right and match with the bottom on the left, and sew .... one long blade made.
Repeat for seocnd.

Square and trim to the width/length you want ... then make your HSTs to match the width.

I always oversize when making, then trim nice and square.
Do it this way -
Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by stitchingcrazy
Thank you all so much for your advice.
I did draft it originally and added seam allowances but the rec's seem to have a mind of their own when sewn together. The math with triangles etc. really confuses me.
I think I will have to make and trim as suggested by many of you.
Don't give me the credit for the one in the picture, I saw it at a show and I was fascinated by it. One of those "have to make it" quilts. I only hope mine will be as good.
I will strive to get it licked and will let you all see. Many thanks again, you are great.
If you follow the instructions I gave you, the only trimming you will need to do is to square it up. If you sew perfectly even, no trimming. I'm of the school, to make it a little larger, and trim for precision .... but that's me!

BearIsGray ... Thanks!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 AM

Up date on my progress on the Pinwhell with a Difference which has been slow and not totally trouble free. That's my own fault no one elses.
I have learned a lot. Namely to cut the recs as advised with wrong sides together... most important or they don't fit in the wheel. Also that it's OK to trim a little here and there (for me it's only about a 1/6") just enough to be a nuisance. Finally I now have to design something to use up my miss cuts!!!!!!
I must say that a relatively simple looking quilt design, it has challenged me in a way I hadn't anticipated. Certainly challenged my failing cognitive functions.
The layout will not be as shown but there will be prints added from the same fabric collection.

Pin Wheel with a Difference
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205991[/ATTACH]

Pin Wheel with a Difference
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205992[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-205985.jpe   attachment-205986.jpe  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

It's going to be lovely ... nice and soft and refreshing colour choices.

Re the fiddly trimming ... that's why I tend to make them a little larger. Easier to square and trim ... and makes the joining SO much easier. And a much nicer finished product.

Your miscuts .... are these your experiments, til you got the size you wanted? or what do you have?
Old 06-03-2011, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

I think she's got it!

:thumbup:
Old 06-03-2011, 01:58 PM

I have 4 or 5 recs that are pieced the wrong way around, so they won't make a pin wheel. I cut the print fabric with wrong side uppermost. It's all becoming rather a hazy event. What I achieved today was something I was beginning to doubt. Forward is the way now.
I suppose if I have more of the same construction I could make a reverse patterned cushion (pillow).
I do not usually waste much fabric. We are all pretty frugal where waste is concerned don't you think?
The colours are soft for a little girl, but as I said there are more in the fat quarter set to use. Thanks for your encouragement and advice.