Problems Matching Up >

Problems Matching Up

Problems Matching Up

Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Originally Posted by sandpat
This is why I cannot do scrappy
Same here. I need order and a pattern.
Very sad. I am the same way. I think too much when it comes to scrappy!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lilaciris
Originally Posted by Boston1954
Do you agonize over what colors to put next to each other in a scrappy? I want this to look nice, and I worry that something will be close to something else that will not go with it.
I too was overwhelmed with the decisions on doing a scrappy quilt.

I decided to do my blocks in the same color family.

I made tubes of strips, sliced off a strip, opened it up and added it to another strip from the same tube, but I moved it over by one section. The result was a block portion that looked like it would fit into a trip around the world quilt.

I have purples, blues, greens, reds, pinks, burgandies, blacks, browns, and yellows. I sewed them from dark to light.
Boston - I like your purples - can you explain the method regarding the "tube"? I would love to try it!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Schwanton,

I think you want lilaciris. I have never made the tube pattern, but it does sound intriguing.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by schwanton
Originally Posted by Lilaciris
Originally Posted by Boston1954
Do you agonize over what colors to put next to each other in a scrappy? I want this to look nice, and I worry that something will be close to something else that will not go with it.
I too was overwhelmed with the decisions on doing a scrappy quilt.

I decided to do my blocks in the same color family.

I made tubes of strips, sliced off a strip, opened it up and added it to another strip from the same tube, but I moved it over by one section. The result was a block portion that looked like it would fit into a trip around the world quilt.

I have purples, blues, greens, reds, pinks, burgandies, blacks, browns, and yellows. I sewed them from dark to light.
Boston - I like your purples - can you explain the method regarding the "tube"? I would love to try it!
On one of the threads (I can't remember which one) there was a link to a video on Utube about tube piecing. It was pretty cool. The woman sewed two strips together, pressed them open then sewed one another strip on the same with as the two together. She sewed in on both sides, right sides facing, then put her 45 degree line on one seam and cut her triangle. She then slid it to the seam on the other side and cut another triangle. When she pressed the cut triangles open she had a square with two stipes on one side and a triangle on the other. It was cool, and looked easy.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
This is why I cannot do scrappy
me too, it all has to match when I do one.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:20 PM

Thank you. It looks like something I would like to try!
Old 03-20-2010, 02:47 AM

I am itching to do a scrappy...just have not taken 'the big plunge' yet.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by ctack2
It's funny that this topic came up today. I am a new new newbie...haven't got the first piece cut for my first quilt yet. I made a couple baby quilts, but that was like 30 years ago!
Last night while I was looking at patterns, I kept thinking to myself that while they are pretty, some beautiful ones out there, they just look like pieces of art to me. I'd see a pattern that I thought was nice, but kept thinking "that doesn't look cozy and comfortable like Mamaw's quilts always did" or "nice, but nothing as homey as Granny used to make". Then it hit me! The quilts that they made decades ago were all 'scrappy quilts', made from cloth left over from making clothes, or old clothes cut apart. I can't imagine either of them EVER went into a store with the intention of buying material for a quilt. Those were the quilts that you could spend hours looking at - looking for scraps from clothes you remembered someone wearing.....nothing says love (to me) more than a scrappy quilt made by my grandmother.
Carol B
You hit the nail on the head for me. I could not figure out why I was not crazy about some of the new designs. They just don't seem like everyday, usable quilts to me.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:09 AM

I love to do scrappy quilts, however, I try not to use colors side by side that really clash. Even though it's scrappy, I still want some order.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:01 AM

I second the comment on Bonnie Hunter's website (quiltville.com). The only rule I use with scrap quilts is no two adjoining pieces can be the same fabric.