Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problems Matching Up >

Problems Matching Up

Problems Matching Up

Old 03-20-2010, 04:49 PM

I took a class one time where they gave us two grocery bags of fabric and we had to pull from them without looking. One bag was lights, one was darks, it turned out fine.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Do you agonize over what colors to put next to each other in a scrappy? I want this to look nice, and I worry that something will be close to something else that will not go with it.
I just purchased a book by Sally Schneider: "Crazy for Scraps"
She spent two pages explaining "scrappy" ... she has it down to three different categories:
Themed (all 1930s, or Christmas, or cowboy, or reproduction, or oriental) - - or a chosen color way
Then, there is the planned scrappy, where each part of the block is a certain color, or a block is determined, with each block being a different set of colors
And, then the basic scrappy of: dark and light
I have control issues, so pulling colors from a bag is not my first idea of "fun" <g> ... but, everyone ought to try it at least once, just so why you will or will not ever do it again!
One of my friends gave me a bunch of five inch squares, where there were precious few lights, so you didn't have that light/dark option ... to accomplish the "sew it together as it comes from the bag" ... don't separate your colors into stacks of anything, though I did find myself not allowing myself to put two geometrics or flowers together, JUST to get the texture varied.

http://www.quiltville.com
the scrap quilter's best friend. The pattern that will best show the tube quilt idea is her postage stamp pattern (which are not one inch squares - - but they could be! <g>) as our friend before me pointed out, she did five inch blocks. <wave>
Old 03-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Banned

I am getting ready for my first quilt. I am going to do the braid quilt, and then I seen the disappearing 4 patch. so now I am stuck on which one I should do. any suggestions for me would be appreciated. thank you. Penny
Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM

Those are beautiful quilts. Here is a link to a tube tutorial: http://www.quiltville.com/streakofsunshine.shtml
We use this pattern for Project Linus quilts. They turn out so cute! I don't know if it is the same pattern that was used for that darling purple quilt, but I think it is similar.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

Thanks so much for all the comments. I have started sewing, and I am trying not to be TOO fussy. I want it to look random but there are some colors that just cannot go next to each other.

Melissa, your quilt turned out fine. Squares are so easy and fun. That is what I am doing now. It is called Boxed Squares and I am using the brightest colors I have. Will show a pic when the top is done.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
YES!!!! I'm bookmarking this and will watch for answers! Thanks for asking -- I have 4 bins of scraps that I SHOULD do something with!
our guild is working on Scrappy Strip Twists. What a variety! Seems almost anything looks great and as you put the blocks
together they bring out another block. Can't give you the site
right now as my pattern is at my friend's house, maybe quilt.com?
Old 03-21-2010, 05:49 AM

Do you agonize over what colors to put next to each other in a scrappy? I want this to look nice, and I worry that something will be close to something else that will not go with it.
I've cut 5 in square from every fabric I own and making yo-yo's for an old fashioned memory quilt they are easy to carry and work up fast with the new templates. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 AM

Thanks so much for all the comments. I have started sewing, and I am trying not to be TOO fussy. I want it to look random but there are some colors that just cannot go next to each other.

Melissa, your quilt turned out fine. Squares are so easy and fun. That is what I am doing now. It is called Boxed Squares and I am using the brightest colors I have. Will show a pic when the top is done.
Thank you Anne. The Lap quilt Suzie helped me one turned out darling.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 AM

My most treasured quilt that I made was a scrappy. When I started it was supposed to be a gift for a friend. Its in muted autumn colors with bright pink thrown in. As I got farther along in making it, I really started to love it. Needless to say, I never gave it as a gift.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:43 AM

Don't angonize... I think it takes some of fun out a a scrappy quilt. I perfer a scrap quilt, I'll alternate between doing a 'planned' scrap, and random scrap. I've attached photos of the planned scrap log cabin I'm going and my last 'blind' scrap

"I think I had extra' truely scrappy ...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21082[/ATTACH]

Scrap log cabin 3.21.10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21083[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-21082.jpe   attachment-21083.jpe