Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Problems sewing with invisible thread.

Blog Entries
    Invisablethread requires little to no upper tension. If you use it in the bobbin,either wind very slowly or hand wind.I use it on my quilting machine all the time.I like to see the pattern of the quilt instead of the thread.

I use invisible thread on top and cotton or polyester in the bobbin. I use it to stitch in the ditch to anchor a quilt top to the batting and backing before I do FMQ (free motion quilting).

My Bernina Activa sews best with it when I put the spool in a little jar beside the machine and run the thread through a hole in the side of an empty bobbin that I put on the thread spindle. Before I did it this way, the thread would tangle or get caught on something.

I think everyone has just about hit it. To recap...

Invisible Thread Trouble Shooting

1. Good Quality Invisible (Polyester MonoPoly) .004 or thinner. Inspect the thread, is it fine like a hair - that is good. Does it have bumps (indicates it was wound too tight) - that is bad.
    2. Try a couple of different types of thread - cotton or cotton/poly in the bobbin.
    4. Test the top tension. Very important. Tension dialed way down could mean "0" tension. On my older Bernina I sew at less than zero or as far as the dial will turn.
    3. Try the Invisible MonoPoly on the spool pin, if it jerks or "over spins" place it in a jar and create a threading eye on the top of the machine near the spool pin (you can tape a safety pin upside down and thread through its hole).
    4. Moderate your sewing speed. I sew at half speed for the best results.
    5. If necessary try Sewers Aid to help reduce friction. I place a drop on the last metal contact point before the thread enters the needle. (I don't find this necessary with MonoPoly, but do need it with some of the specialty metallic threads.)
    6. And oh yes, thread the "finger" on your bobbin if it has one.

I do alot of free motion quilting on my Bernina 1260 using invisible thread. No problem. Wind the bobbin as usual, they thread it thru the little hole (don't know what it's called) no problem.

Thanks to everyone for giving me ideas on what to try. I will try everything until I find something that works. I use the thread only on the top, never in the bobbin.

Personally I detest using invisible thread and my Berninas don't like it much either. I managed to break one of my Viking bobbins(plastic) winding invisible thread on to it.
    I much prefer cotton threads.
    Just my 2 cents.

How can you secure the invisible thread when starting and stopping? If I sew two or three stiches in place, I get little knots.

i was having same problems with invisible thread so i checked with my local quilt shop today and they told me to lower my upper tension, use cotton/poly on bobbin, place my spool on tall thread holder fastened to back of my machine and go SLOW! Solved my problems

Blog Entries
    I use invisible thread for quilting alot. Since I am not that good at machine quilting it hides alot. Sometimes if the thread is old it doesnt want to work. I have used it in the bobbin but once in awhile it breaks and you cant find it. Also a metallic needle can help plus putting it on a spool pin thats not sideways helps. Jean

Lots of good answers already. Do remember that not all invisible thread is created equal. I like SewArt Int. (nylon) because it has a matte finish. Superior's Monopoly is great and the Sulky Polyester invisible is also pretty good. Haven't used YLI or the others, and avoid the stuff that feels like fishing line.
    Do be careful when you use nylon invisible. It doesn't stand up as well to heat. Story: I used to work as an alterations tailor in a major department store. We used an industrial blind hem machine and gigantic cones of nylon invisible thread to hem pants.
    Someone came in and needed the hems put back in their pants because the thread "disappeared" in the dryer.

So it can happen if you aren't careful.

But I do love using invisible to quilt with for all the reasons given.

Have fun,
    Pati, in Phx

What brand of invisible thread are you using? I had trouble with Coats & Clark after they went to the new pink spools, the thread will wind itself around the thread spindle, and tighten and break. I have switched to YLI, on a spool shaped like a little silo, a little more expensive, but has 1500 yds on the "silo", and doesn't have that problem at all. If you have a lot of C&C spools that cause problems, I found a product called Baby net, that is netting to use on cones of thread. They are long, so cut one in thirds, and slip over the thread spool, and it will stop that annoying breakage.

Sie

Blog Entries
    Ohhh, good idea on the thread net, I hadn't thought about that.

You might try using "lingere" thread in the bobbin. I use it when playing with the shiney Sulkey sliver metalics. There is some give and there is less breakage. It has a soft feel so is soft against the skin hence, lingere.

First invisible thread I used was Coats and Clark and had nothing but breakage. YLI works fine in my Pfaff, either in the bobbin or on top. First I do trial stitching runs on a quilt sandwich using the backing and top fabrics and batting until I have the stitch length and tension I want. May in Jersey

PS. Like the idea someone posted about unthreading the invisible thread into an ashtry to get the kinks out, sounds like a good idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzy
    I sew on a Bernina 1008 (mechanical machine) and having trouble with invisible thread breaking inside the machine and the thread getting tighter and tighter as it feeds through the machine until it breaks. Anyone has a solution to this problem, let me know.
    Just had the machine serviced last month.
    Call where you bought your machine and they will tell you what to do. For my Bernina I just turn the tension to 2 and have no problems

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have never used it. god bless.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzy
    I sew on a Bernina 1008 (mechanical machine) and having trouble with invisible thread breaking inside the machine and the thread getting tighter and tighter as it feeds through the machine until it breaks. Anyone has a solution to this problem, let me know.
    Just had the machine serviced last month.
    I use invisible thread on most of of my quilts when I do the quilting and rarely have problems. When I first started using it, though, my thread kept breaking and it was because it kept gettng caught around the rod holding the spool or when my tension was too tight.

The very first thing that I learned about invisible thread was to NOT use it in the bobbin --- EVER.

When I was having problems with invisible thread, my sewing shop recommended that I use a needle with a larger eye like embroidery as well as lower tension. Ever since I did that, I have had no problem. I do use regular thread in bobbin.

Make sure you are using polyester and not nylon thread.

Blog Entries
    Always loosen the top tension to .5 and go up as needed but never tighter then 3.5 Use a topstitch needle size #80/12 or #70/10. thread should come off spool in vertical position. Use very lightweight bobbin thread in bobbin at least a size 60.

When I first used invisible thread, I was told YLI is the better acting brand so I have used this one and it is good.
    I like YLI threads anyway.

By the way, I only use the YLI in the top and a neutral thread in the bobbin that won't show.

Dee
    I find you need to use a thread net and sew slower. I use cotton in the bobbin and the invisiable on top. A sewing show I used to listen to said never use it in the bobbin. Now I have no trouble at all.

loved the solution on the invisible thread by by using a magic marker on the end of the thread to help see to thread the needle. That's a note to myself that will printed on a small card and stuck on my cork board to the left of my Berninia. Thank you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast