Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Product the keep dark colors from running >

Product the keep dark colors from running

Product the keep dark colors from running

Old 03-18-2014, 03:18 PM

Default Product the keep dark colors from running

I finished my quilt which had some wine colored pieces and after washing it I didn't remove from the machine until next morning and OMG it ran into some of the white pieces. I quick went to the store and but some of those sheets you put in the machine and washed it again and was pleased they all came out.
Now I would like to know if there is a product I can buy that will keep the colors from doing that. Right now I have a top put together with black , red and white colors and don't want to put all the work into it until I can stablize the colors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I should have washed it before cutting it all out. So stupid.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 PM

I use synthropol in hot water, along with color catchers to prewash my fabric. If your fabric is already cut out I wouldn't advise washing it now. Use the color catchers when your quilt is finished. All my fabric is prewashed before it even goes into my sewing room.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:32 PM

I'm in the "don't prewash" camp, and I've had good luck with the following method twice, but don't know if it's quilty sanctioned or not. I had a purple batik sewn in with whites and light pinks and after testing a piece of the purple, it ran REALLY badly. I have a big deep sink that I filled with cold water and a quarter cup of salt. Stuck the quilt in and hand agitated it for a few minutes. Once the water turned pink, I drained and refilled the water. Repeat agitation. I repeated the process several times until the water ran clear during agitation. After that, straight into the washer with cold water on gentle cycle. I had no runs, the whites and pinks were really nice. I did this method on a green and white quilt with the same results. Let me say too, that once you start down this road, you can't stop until that water runs clear, so make sure you're not in the middle of something else.

I've heard Synthrapol (sp?) works very well on already pieced quilts. I have never used it, but would definitely give it a try!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

Retayne is the product that will set most dyes. You use it on fabric yardage before you cut. If your quilt is done, use Synthrapol and/or color catchers and lots of water.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:19 PM

ive heard of color catchers but never used one. if i dont use lqs fabric i generally prewash my fabric but whether i do or not first wash i always add half cup of vinegar in the washer and ive not had a problem so far. im sorry about your quilt but relieved it came out right away!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 AM

The very worst thing you can do is to leave your fabric/quilt sitting in the washer. It really increases the likely hood that a dark will bleed onto a light.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
The very worst thing you can do is to leave your fabric/quilt sitting in the washer. It really increases the likely hood that a dark will bleed onto a light.
I made that mistake, too. Even a dark fabric that has been washed once can still have excess dye in it.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:53 AM

Default Synthropol

Sound like a winner. Where do you purchase this product. I've never seen it in the market.
Thank you for responding I should know better.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Yes, I learned the hard way. Thank you for advice.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:34 PM

Wash with dish soap. Synthrapol is awesome, but it fades fabric.