Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Project Linus quilts >

Project Linus quilts

Project Linus quilts

Old 11-22-2020, 03:44 AM

Default Project Linus quilts

Anyone here donate to Project Linus? Need to project to get me going or new family to adopt me...lol.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:57 AM

Yes, I have for about 6-7 yrs now. They take both my finished and tops to be finished quilts.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:17 AM

I have been donating since August and the local coordinator has been easy to work with. Since they take quilts for child up to 18 years of age, I have been trying to make some larger quilts as well as baby sized. Just using what I have on hand and patterns that I want to try. The next few months will be scrappy quilts because my scrap bin is over flowing.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
Yes, I have for about 6-7 yrs now. They take both my finished and tops to be finished quilts.
Huh...I didn't know that they take just the tops. Good to know. I've wanted to donate to them, but never have. The quilting is the hardest part for me, so maybe I'll just send on a few tops.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:52 AM

Just heard from the coordinator in my town. She only wants finished quilts and larger size. No crib size. Suggestion, if you are thinking of sewing for them, contact your local coordinator for details. I'm going thru my patterns. Yeah...a new reason to sew!!
Old 11-22-2020, 10:21 AM

I make polar fleece blankets for Project Linus. I crochet an edging and make them usually 1 1/2 yards by width of fabric. Mostly I make colors and patterns that will appeal to older boys so they can get a blanket, too. I work on them at night when I don't have the energy to be more creative but need to do something with my hands while I watch tv, so it's win-win. I use an Olfa blade that makes holes about 1/4" apart in the fleece and that makes it easy to do the first crochet row.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:37 AM

Different areas and different groups have different requirements and needs. Some of what I do is pretty "taste specific" and I prefer to give my projects to places where they let people choose as opposed to you just get the next one available. Currently I'm concentrating on twin to queen sized quilts, particularly for aging foster kids and families in transition/emergency housing.

When I belonged to the large guild that did Ronald McDonald House, we had plenty of smaller quilts and needed those larger than one width of fabric. Being the mother of a son, I also felt we needed a bit more rough and tumble and less pink and dainty, so I mostly worked on full crib sized to twin sized projects which I felt were more gender neutral.

The guild that most of my Tuesday group belongs to does a preemie project where they have very specific requirements. They also have a general "children's corner" and unlike my previous guild, typically need more in the girly spectrum of things
Old 11-22-2020, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

We have a local Binky Patrol near me. I occasionally donate completed quilts. I try to make larger ones for boys. This group does accept quilts from old denim and one can easily sew an applique on the top to make it a little more special. I have done footballs, raccoons, elephants etc.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

I just donate to Foster Kids in my county. I make what I want and give. Haven't heard if they are liked or used.