Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Proper way to remove thread from your machine >

Proper way to remove thread from your machine

Proper way to remove thread from your machine

Old 06-15-2015, 03:53 PM

In the old days I always just pulled the thread out back through the tension disks (with the presser foot up). However, now I've been told otherwise, and I'm also sewing on a much more delicate (electronic) machine, I cut, raise presser foot and pull through bottom (after unthreading from the needle).
Can't hurt and may save!
Old 06-15-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I have yet to be convinced that it makes any difference so long as the foot is raised to release all resistance as the thread passes between the tension discs. If the tension discs are disengaged, how can something as thin as a piece of thread passing untouched between them cause a problem?

I think a more logical rule would be this one...foot down, cut up; foot up, cut down.
The guy in our guild presentation said it had to do with the way the thread plys are twisted together---they are designed to glide smoothly in the direction from spool to needle; but when pulled 'backward' up through the tension discs that small bits of the thread gets shredded off and will eventually cause problems. News to me!
Old 06-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

My mom told me to do this 50+ years ago, so this is always the way I've done it!
Old 06-15-2015, 04:39 PM

I took a class on machine maintenance and that is what they told me....cut the thread and pull it through the needle.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
My mom told me to do this 50+ years ago, so this is always the way I've done it!
I'm with you .....learned this in Home Ec class 50+ years ago and been doing it that way ever since.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:30 PM

This is the way I've always done it, don't remember anyone telling me to do it this way, just makes sense to me to keep everything moving in the same direction.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:06 PM

I've heard this before, and I do try to remember to do this. However, last night I was embroidering and my thread frayed. When I looked, it was up inside the machine somewhere, and the only thing I could do was to pull it back through the machine towards the spool. Seemed to work OK afterwards, but I didn't like doing that. Just had no choice.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I have yet to be convinced that it makes any difference so long as the foot is raised to release all resistance as the thread passes between the tension discs. If the tension discs are disengaged, how can something as thin as a piece of thread passing untouched between them cause a problem?

I think a more logical rule would be this one...foot down, cut up; foot up, cut down.
I'm with you. I asked my machine salesman/repair person about this and he didn't think it made any difference. Until I notice something has gone wrong, I probably will still pull it back to the thread.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 PM

I had a lesson on my embroidery machine and the gal told me to put new thread at the spool with a knot then pull thru the disc and can even go thru the needle you would want the foot up of course so the disks would be open and this is also the way I change thread on my longarm.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I had a lesson on my embroidery machine and the gal told me to put new thread at the spool with a knot then pull thru the disc and can even go thru the needle you would want the foot up of course so the disks would be open and this is also the way I change thread on my longarm.
This is the way most non-air-threading sergers are recommended to have thread changed as well.