Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Proper way to remove thread from your machine >

Proper way to remove thread from your machine

Proper way to remove thread from your machine

Old 06-16-2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have to agree with ghostrider. I have never had a problem with my Bernina (mid 90s) but I always have my presser foot up before removing the thread. Maybe it makes a difference on make of your DSM.
Agree with both of you 100%. There is no way that thread under no tension harms the metal tension disks. When my foot is up, my tension disks separate enough that I can see between them, so in no way is pulling thread (which comes through at that point with no resistance) can harm them. I think this is one of the "rules" that gets passed along that may have once had some validity in some cases, but is not universal nor is it necessary. As an engineer by trade, my feeling is if the disks are that sensitive, the wrong material has been used in manufacture of the disks.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I have heard of the "right" way to thread a needle and knot it also. You thread the needle while the thread is still on the spool. Then knot that end. Now you pull off what you need from the spool and cut it. I don't always remember to do that, but it has the same reasoning behind it: the thread is meant to be pulled one way, and pulling the other way raises the fuzz on it.
No, wait. If you agree with the idea that thread leaves more lint when pulled backwards through the tension discs, then knotting the leading end when you hand stitch is doing exactly the same thing...pulling it backwards. You can't have it both ways.

Draw a line (the thread end) coming off the base of a big squiggle (the spool). Make the end of the line an arrowhead (the 'grain' of the thread). On your machine the arrow points down through the discs and into the needle...sewing in the direction of the 'point'. Fine and dandy.

Take that same arrow and tie a knot directly behind the point, right inside the

Last edited by ghostrider; 06-16-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:08 AM

I have been telling people for years to cut between machine and thread spool, the reason they say this when sewing with an industrial machine is that you change thread by cutting there and then knot new thread on and raise presser foot then pull thread through to needle so all you are left with is threading needle. This method is faster avoids miss threading machine and helps you make new good habits since yes pulling thread through backwards will leave lint in tension disc area which requires a machine tear down to fix.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
I just found out today that I shouldn't just pull the thread backwards through the tension disks when removing the spool. Apparently you risk damaging delicate tension disks, cut the thread between the spool and the tension lever and pull downwards from the needle area.
My Bernina manual says the same thing.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:22 AM

When i got my bernina 830 that was the first thing I was told and apparently it's the most important piece of information! So I always do it with her but not with my janome's ..oooops I thought it was just for the new berninas maybe I'll be kind to my janome's and start to cut at spool pull from needle as well :-)
Old 06-17-2015, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I have heard of the "right" way to thread a needle and knot it also. You thread the needle while the thread is still on the spool. Then knot that end. Now you pull off what you need from the spool and cut it. I don't always remember to do that, but it has the same reasoning behind it: the thread is meant to be pulled one way, and pulling the other way raises the fuzz on it.

I don't think it is rocket science. But I have had my thread "wear out" while I was sewing with it. The reason probably was that I knotted the wrong end of the thread and was pulling it through the wrong way with each stitch.

With the way the new processing methods of making thread there is no right or wrong end anymore. There is right a and wrong way the thread feeds off the spool.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
No, wait. If you agree with the idea that thread leaves more lint when pulled backwards through the tension discs, then knotting the leading end when you hand stitch is doing exactly the same thing...pulling it backwards. You can't have it both ways.
You certainly are correct. I don't remember where I heard this.
Actually I do very little hand sewing, and I'm with the people who say it doesn't make that much difference anymore. So, carry on!
Old 06-18-2015, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
With the way the new processing methods of making thread there is no right or wrong end anymore. There is a right and wrong way the thread feeds off the spool.
And if that's the case, doesn't it debunk the 'pulling it backwards off the machine leaves more lint' idea?
Old 06-18-2015, 02:54 PM

I heard this information before when I purchased my Bernina. IMHO they just wanted me to buy more thread. Not only did it not make a difference....it was a real waste of thread. Especially if you are embroiderying and using a lot of different colors, I thought. So......I did NOT cut the thread and pull down through the needle. Yesterday I paid $30.00 to have the shredded thread and lint cleaned out of my 830 Bernina. I LEARNED MY LESSON!!! I now pull the thread down through the needle as I was told. Funny the tech that fixed my machine knew exactly what I had not been doing. The machine would stitch 8 or 9 stitches and then stop. Fortunately I could turn off the sensor and finish my project, before taking my machine in to be "fixed".
Old 06-25-2015, 07:22 PM

I never knew this! Thank you!