Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pros and Cons of Using Two Layers of Batting >

Pros and Cons of Using Two Layers of Batting

Pros and Cons of Using Two Layers of Batting

Old 06-10-2020, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I bought a bolt of Hobbs 80/20 and found it to be thin in some places and not in others so have no other choice but to double it up to get rid of it faster. Tried to quilt using 1 layer and had all sorts of tension issues. Finally gave up and called my Innova repair guy to come give her a "spa treatment" as at the time I thought it was the machine. He told me then that using 2 layers of batting sometimes will solve the tension issues. Plus once you've washed the quilt it also will help with the bobbin thread showing on the top and vice versa. Haven't tried it yet but will soon. Can't get rid of this Hobbs bolt fast enough. May have gotten a bad bolt as some folks swear by Hobbs 80/20. This was my 1st.............and last time ordering it. Will go back to my Quilter's Dream 80/20 or 70/30, can't remember which size offers 120 x 30yds.

contact Hobbs and let them know- they will most likely replace it. I had a problem with some of their batting and they replaced it for me, no problem.

Rob
Old 06-10-2020, 06:40 AM

I have used two layers of batting on only one large quilt and it was DH's favorite quilt of all times. For me it was way to warm to sleep under and even more difficult to quilt. Even though that quilt has long ago worn out I still have to keep it for DH. He ask for it every once in a while. I have also use a double bat on a few baby quilts that I knew would be used for outdoor stroller use or to crawl on the floor usage. I always thought they would be to warm for crib usage.
Keep in mind twice the batting twice the warmth. Most quilts are warm enough with a single layer of batting and are much easier to quilt.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:44 AM

I make mostly art quilts and use a longarm. Art quilters often use two layers, with W&N on the bottom and wool on top (next to the quilt top) because of the definition it can give to the quilting. Some art quilters use a layer of felt in addition, next to the backing because it helps the quilt hang straight. Others interface the backing for the same reason. I find that even one layer of W&N in a bed size quilt makes the quilt too heavy for me.