Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Proud I did it myself! >

Proud I did it myself!

Proud I did it myself!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:37 AM

Thanks, everyone for all your supportive comments! I've been sewing since I was a kid----lonnnnnnnng time ago---and had never touched bobbin tension, so I was pretty apprehensive. But, I knew that was where the problem was. I'm just really glad I found a helpful tech person to work me through the process. Thanks to Jackie @ Phantom Crafts in Redford MI!! She made me feel more confident about "playing" with my machine. Thanks to all of you for your comments. And Pat: sounds like you were just compatico with that machine from early on!!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:45 AM

I understand feeling intimidated by that tiny bobbin screw but no need to. I have a long arm and every time I change the type of thread I use in the bobbin I have to turn that screw. This might help in the future...loose stitch on top = bobbin tension, loose on bottom = top tension. For perfect bobbin tension you should be able to hold the bobbin over your hand in the air and the bobbin should very gradually follow your hand downwards. If it hangs suspended in the air the tension is too tight, turn screw slightly to the left and try again. If it falls like a rock, too loose, turn slightly to the right and test again. HTH. Enjoy your new machine, hope you have many years of happy sewing on it!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like you have quite a machine there, glad you were able to figure out the problem. When I first got my Memory Craft 4000, many years ago, there were all these embroidery stitches that I had to try, it was so much fun. I used them to quilt 2 baby quilts for our next door neighbors when their twins were born, and they loved them - I used a pink gingham border for Madison and a blue gingham borders for Noah. I used a very simple pattern, took a 4-5" muslin square, used the snow ball technique on 2 sides - when the blocks came together they made 4 triangles in the different fabrics, then I bought lots of Rayon thread, in all colors and variegated threads, then used an embroidery stitch around the 4 triangles. It was a simple, but adorable quilt for those 2 precious babies who were our "grandchildren" until we finally got our Zoe, but I still have great memories of them, and their parents.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:30 AM

I have the SAME machine i got from HSN the singer H74 I di dhave some issues trying to do Free motion on the machine once i pur in a bobbin washer it helped alot. i just keep it in there now. thanks for yur input if i ever need to figure out my bobbin tension i will e-mail yu LOL.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:48 AM

Congrats on getting it worked out.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:32 PM

Great job getting the tension worked out. Just a little tip....when you get the bobbin screw where you want it, put a tiny dot of nail polish on the screw and then on the bobbin directly across from each other. If the screw works it way lose again, you can put it back to the right tension by simple turning the screw so the dots match up.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:25 PM

Congrats on getting your tension adjusted....that has always scared me to death
Old 10-16-2014, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by scisyb220 View Post
This past Spring I bought a Singer H74 for a real deal at Tuesday Morning. It was a model made for selling on the HSN and has over 300 built in stitches, including 2 alphabets and numerics, came with a slew of feet, including a walking foot AND a cutter foot! Every time I tried using it, I could NOT get the tension right; the thread "bubbled" up on top. Called Singer help line and they "walked" me through the threading process---NOT the problem. She finally said it would be covered by warranty and the ONLY place in my state is over an hour's drive away. Or I could ship it. Neither one I wanted to do. So she gave me some info on a couple places nearby that could do the work for a charge. I knew the problem was the bobbin tension, but was afraid to play with it. Called one place and she talked me through adjusting the bobbin screw, assured me it would not invalidate the warranty, and NOW I finally have a decent looking stitch! Really proud I was able to do this! I was very intimidated by it, but so happy I can now use my machine! Next step: playing with the fancy stitches & the alphabet! Ooooooo, I can't wait to play with the cutter foot---like having a serger, but without another machine!
OK-I'm seriously envious right now! I bought 2 of the same machine at Tues Morning--my daughter's works great, but I had mine worked on by independent repair guys-replaced the take up arm on bobbin thread cause said it was bent. Works better, but when bobbin is low, my top tension starts laying on the top. I'm a long armer and adjust that bobbin (& top) tension all the time so not afraid to give it a try---but with a drop in bobbin, where is the bobbin screw??
Old 10-18-2014, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

Glad you got it fixed...Enjoy..
Old 11-03-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
OK-I'm seriously envious right now! I bought 2 of the same machine at Tues Morning--my daughter's works great, but I had mine worked on by independent repair guys-replaced the take up arm on bobbin thread cause said it was bent. Works better, but when bobbin is low, my top tension starts laying on the top. I'm a long armer and adjust that bobbin (& top) tension all the time so not afraid to give it a try---but with a drop in bobbin, where is the bobbin screw??
The bobbin screw on my machine was coated with a yellow "paint" and I had to just slip my little screwdriver in there. It was on the right side of the bobbin case, when I took off the needle plate. I think I had all the right names for those.