Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pulling Up Threads >

Pulling Up Threads

Pulling Up Threads

Old 12-28-2017, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Same here. I take a couple of back stitches at the beginning and end and then cut them off. I'm not making show quilts and I've never had anyone notice this or had threads come loose.

Cari
I do this especially for kids' quilts and others when I know the quilt will be machine washed frequently.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:15 AM

Watson, before you do needle up/down at the end of a line of stitching, if you raise your presser foot and move the quilt back a few inches and then bring it back to where it was, that will give you some slack in the bobbin thread which makes it easier to pull it up to the surface using needle up/down. You just want to make sure you get your quilt back in the spot under the needle so the needle goes in where it was last. Hope that makes sense.

Rob
Old 12-28-2017, 05:06 AM

Many threads can be clipped away when lines of quilting start and stop at the edges of the quilt and will be covered by the binding. When they start and stop in the middle of the quilt like to bring the bobbin thread up and hold it to begin the stitching. I later tie and bury that thread. When I stop one of these lines of stitching I pull the work out of the machine fare enough to create a tail of six inches or so and clip front and back. I pull that thread to the back of the quilt, tie and then bury on the back. I try to tie and bury as I go.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:36 PM

I use Renae Allen's methods for starting and ending machine quilting.

https://weallsew.com/secure-stitches...p.mrkSqdhw9gGP
Old 12-28-2017, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
The only reason you pull up the bobbin thread at the beginning is to avoid getting a birds nest on the back. Many people leave the bobbin tails when ending a line of quilting and bury from the back. You can also pull up your bobbin thread at the end the same way you do it in the beginning but it can be difficult if you are one to make several teeny tiny stitches when finishing a line of quilting. You don't need to do that if you plan on knotting and burying so may as well skip the locking stitches and simply pull your bobbin thread to the top by leaving a generous tail and lightly tugging your top thread to coax the bobbin thread to the top.
This is what I do....