Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pulling Up Threads

Pulling Up Threads

I'm trying to be good and bury threads.

Obviously, I can pull up the bobbin thread at the beginning, but how do you pull up the bobbin thread when you finish a line of stitching so you can bury it?

Watson

The only reason you pull up the bobbin thread at the beginning is to avoid getting a birds nest on the back. Many people leave the bobbin tails when ending a line of quilting and bury from the back. You can also pull up your bobbin thread at the end the same way you do it in the beginning but it can be difficult if you are one to make several teeny tiny stitches when finishing a line of quilting. You don't need to do that if you plan on knotting and burying so may as well skip the locking stitches and simply pull your bobbin thread to the top by leaving a generous tail and lightly tugging your top thread to coax the bobbin thread to the top.

When machine quilting I don't bury the threads. I take a few stitches the way Lori Kennedy shows us. It looks like a tiny curlicue.
    If I were entering in a show though, I would bury them.

Blog Entries
    I always bring the bobbin thread to the top when I cut my threads. I just hold the top thread, needle down, needle up, give the top thread a tug the bobbin thread comes up. Same method as starting I use for ending. Even after doing a few tiny lock stitches. Then I just clip both threads flush .
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    When machine quilting I don't bury the threads. I take a few stitches the way Lori Kennedy shows us. It looks like a tiny curlicue.
    If I were entering in a show though, I would bury them.
    I do the same.
    Always be kind.

I am in the pull the bobbin thread to the top at the start and end camp.
    .... CKCowl described it well as to the how to.

Agree, it is not really necessary, but I tend to wait and do several burials later.
    By bringing it to the top, I know where they are, and it is less likely that the threads will get caught up, tangled, stitched in ... and a mess created, until I do those group burials!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    I always bring the bobbin thread to the top when I cut my threads. I just hold the top thread, needle down, needle up, give the top thread a tug the bobbin thread comes up. Same method as starting I use for ending. Even after doing a few tiny lock stitches. Then I just clip both threads flush .
    Yes, this is what I do also..... and yes I have tried multiple methods of locking my stitch etc...... but this is the method that I prefer.... it takes a few moments longer.... but I am not in a race, so I enjoy.

I just cut the ends off and be done with it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Same here. I take a couple of back stitches at the beginning and end and then cut them off. I'm not making show quilts and I've never had anyone notice this or had threads come loose.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Ditto.......
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    Same here. I take a couple of back stitches at the beginning and end and then cut them off. I'm not making show quilts and I've never had anyone notice this or had threads come loose.

Cari
    I do this especially for kids' quilts and others when I know the quilt will be machine washed frequently.

Watson, before you do needle up/down at the end of a line of stitching, if you raise your presser foot and move the quilt back a few inches and then bring it back to where it was, that will give you some slack in the bobbin thread which makes it easier to pull it up to the surface using needle up/down. You just want to make sure you get your quilt back in the spot under the needle so the needle goes in where it was last. Hope that makes sense.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Many threads can be clipped away when lines of quilting start and stop at the edges of the quilt and will be covered by the binding. When they start and stop in the middle of the quilt like to bring the bobbin thread up and hold it to begin the stitching. I later tie and bury that thread. When I stop one of these lines of stitching I pull the work out of the machine fare enough to create a tail of six inches or so and clip front and back. I pull that thread to the back of the quilt, tie and then bury on the back. I try to tie and bury as I go.

I use Renae Allen's methods for starting and ending machine quilting.

https://weallsew.com/secure-stitches...p.mrkSqdhw9gGP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    The only reason you pull up the bobbin thread at the beginning is to avoid getting a birds nest on the back. Many people leave the bobbin tails when ending a line of quilting and bury from the back. You can also pull up your bobbin thread at the end the same way you do it in the beginning but it can be difficult if you are one to make several teeny tiny stitches when finishing a line of quilting. You don't need to do that if you plan on knotting and burying so may as well skip the locking stitches and simply pull your bobbin thread to the top by leaving a generous tail and lightly tugging your top thread to coax the bobbin thread to the top.
    This is what I do....
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."