Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
purchased quilts from a store >

purchased quilts from a store

purchased quilts from a store

Old 03-25-2011, 10:29 AM

I bought one years ago at Fred's dollar store to cut up and make a coat, have I done it yet, no. But one day.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't buy one, all I've seen is junk. I don't wash any bed item every 3-4 days. I have never spend thousands of dollars making any quilt.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

[quote=fabric_fancy]all our bedding comes from the store.

a king size quilt costs thousands between materials and time - far too much to use for sleeping and washing every 3-4 days.

Do you honestly think anyone believes this????
Old 03-25-2011, 11:54 AM

I've purchased several quilts from stores, each for $50 or less, for use in guest bedrooms and for private picnics.
- When my husband and I go out for our personal picnics, I want a very home-y feel to our event. With the store-bought quilt, I don't have to think much about stains or other damage. When one of my guilds needs a quilt for a backdrop for an outdoors display, these picnic quilts are the ones I offer to the purpose.
- My several infant, pre-K and K grandchildren jump on the beds, use what occurs to them to use to build forts, throw off the covers during the night onto the floor, and generally act like young kids. They forget basic instructions and house rules in passionate moments of enthusiasm and creativity. Kids and stains and rips and tears happen. This will be outgrown as they move into primary grades on a full-time, full day basis, and as their own sensitivities and cause-and-effect processing develops further.
- We have houseguests who I had no hand or say in raising, and who are not as respectful or mindful as they could be with things, but since they are family, they still deserve softer touches, such as quilts, but their room is decorated with commercially made quilts during their stay.

When these houseguests and the grandkids go home, out comes the "good stuff" to reappoint these rooms, and the doors remain open so I can look at "my" quilts, love them ,enjoy them, and change them according to the season, holiday or whim.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:04 PM

One time at an NQA booth selling quilt hanging system, woman was trying to purchase one and had to call Target to see what the size of the quilt someone was going to purchase was so they could get the right size holder.
I was stunned, you are at NQA so you obviously have an interest in quilting, and then you are trying to buy this really lovely hand made wooden holder and you are going to hang a quilt from Target. I can understand buying a quilt to use for the baby, but using it as a wallhanging?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 PM

[quote=Jingle]
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
all our bedding comes from the store.

a king size quilt costs thousands between materials and time - far too much to use for sleeping and washing every 3-4 days.

Do you honestly think anyone believes this????
Well, I wouldn't buy my fabric where she does, that's for sure. However, I do understand what she's saying about the cost of the time it takes to make one. I couldn't charge someone the hourly rate I make at work to make a quilt. And it may cost several hundred dollars for a longarmer to quilt a king. I paid over $100 just for a twin.

But washing a quilt every 3-4 days? Not in this lifetime!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:36 PM

Good grief! I have never washed a quilt every 3 or 4 days! I don't wash my quilts but once a year, and then not if they haven't been used much. Even a well-constructed quilt would not last long under those conditions. Perhaps a woven coverlet would hold up better. Better luck next time.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:40 PM

When Montgomery Wards went out of business they had any size quilt for $20. I bought several..I used them to cut up for Christmas stockings, tree skirts, my sister made teddy bears out of some of them and some I still have..I keep one the back of my couch where the cat likes to lay and look out the window. They were cheap but have held up pretty well..I won't buy one for a gift...
Old 03-25-2011, 04:46 PM

i have to admit i have quilt collecting problem, so in addition to making them i have also purchased quite a few.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:19 PM

I'm sure some do purchase quilts from a store, but frankly, I don't see much fun in that. I'd rather make my own.