Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
putting  squares together after they have been quilted?? >

putting squares together after they have been quilted??

putting squares together after they have been quilted??

Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 PM

I bought some material at an estate sale a few months back, and in my finds found a partially started quilt squares and decided to continue and try and finish this quilt. But now my question is how am I going to put them all together??? any ideas????
Attached Thumbnails attachment-215484.jpe   attachment-215485.jpe  
Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 PM

all ideas are welcome:0)
Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 PM

make it into a quilt as you go maybe. sew them backsides together. trim to 1/4 in. and iron seems (batting and all) open. cover with two jumbo ric rac's (idk what you call it, they're kind of twisted together but they still lie flat.) and sew along the outside of the ric rac to hold it in place. Bind and ta da you have a finished quilt.

*I saw it on fons and porter, when I saw your blocks it just reminded me of that episode since it seemed to fit so well.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:22 PM

Don't know how to explain. Take 2 strips, one on each side of a block and sew all 3 together with the block between the strips. On one of the strips it might work best to iron a small fold (to hand sew it down). Take another block and and sew the unironed strip to another block. Once you have that done you should have 2 blocks joined with a strip and the other side should have only one side sewn down. Now take the ironed strip and fold over to hand stitch closed. After the blocks are joined do the same to join full rows.
I tried to warn you as this is probably clear as mud maybe someone else can explain better than I. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 PM

Have a look at this link, I bookmarked it a while ago.http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52698-1.htm
Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Power Poster

sashing strips- there are good quilt as you go tutorials that will help you figure it out.
beautiful blocks!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:41 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
Have a look at this link, I bookmarked it a while ago.http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52698-1.htm
Deb's method is really good if you still have oversized backing (as it is brought to the front and is folded to mimic a sashing/binding on each block), and don't want sashing strips on the back.

But it doesn't look like you have any backing to work with in the picture.

Take a look at Kimberly's QAYG method:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-115627-1.htm

This method has the quilted blocks trimmed (same size top/batting/backing), and then attached to each other by adding sashing strips (front and back).

It's a different look than the method above, and a bit more flexible in its applications.

But both are great examples of the QAYG technique.

Lovely blocks.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

LOVE your blocks!!
If you liked quilting by hand, and enjoyed doing the squares individually, another QAUG technique would be the Georgia Bonesteel method. You can get one of her books, used, on amazon for a penny! With the $4.00 for shipping, it's less expensive than a single pattern.

http://www.amazon.com/More-Lap-Quilt...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Basically, you stop quilting a bit farther from the edge of your block, peel back the batting & backing. Sew the 2 blocks together. Butt the batting and whip stitch. then you lay one of the backing fabrics flat, and turn the other back about 1/4" and stitch this down.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Thank you all for your reponses I will definately chek into it all :0) thanks for the compliments as well cause I am a new quilter just since christmas of last year !!! I love this site :0) thank you all again :0)