Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone else use equipment/tools long after they should have been replaced?

Power Poster

Anyone else use equipment/tools long after they should have been replaced?

As reluctant as many of us are to replace some of these items, sometimes it IS worth the money to do so.

Cutting mats: When they are grooved, warped, or broken, - it takes a lot more effort to cut on them. Besides, the cuts get "off" when the mats are bad. One can smooth them down for a while - but after a while - they REALLY ARE worn out.

Rulers: I've had some that still looked "fine" to me - but I was wondering why the fabric wasn't "on the line" when I moved the ruler for the next cut. I finally realized that I had "eroded" part of the edge so the ruler had a shallow curve in it. (This may or may not bother you - but it did bother me). I put them in the trash rather than pass them on to anyone else. That was hard for me to do.

Seam rippers: Anyone else fight with a 30 year old dull ripper because they were too cheap to go out and buy a new one?

Rotary cutter blades: Why do I think that a blade that is duller than my table knives will cut efficiently? Especially if one has physical issues with cutting, a new blade takes so much less effort - and will usually cut through the fabric with one pass - instead of three or four.

Scissors - I worked at a place once where the scissor had been dropped and about half an inch was broken off the tip of one blade - the office manager wouldn't replace it "because it was still new"
    If one has to get them sharpened, try to find a reputable place to do it. Dull scissors can also contribute to inaccuracy - and hand fatigue!

Irons - is it scorching? spitting? leaking? hazardous?

Ironing board cover? What does your look like? I like to get washable ones.

These are some items that are relatively inexpensive to replace - and after I have replaced them - it feels so good to have "smoother sailing" again.

(Then I wonder what took me so long to replace the items???)
    Last edited by bearisgray; 04-22-2012 at 07:22 AM.

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    You're speaking to me.
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

A couple more .....

Needles .... they do get dull in our machines. Change them regularly!

Lighting .... Even though the old light bulb(s) have not died, it's well worth it to change old bulbs to "daylight" bulbs, for such a minimal cost and effort. Use the old bulb, somewhere else.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    A couple more .....

Needles .... they do get dull in our machines. Change them regularly!

Lighting .... Even though the old light bulb(s) have not died, it's well worth it to change old bulbs to "daylight" bulbs, for such a minimal cost and effort. Use the old bulb, somewhere else.
    You are so right about needles! I do change mine - but probably not as often as I should. I can easily discard one that is broken, bent, or has a snagger on it - but it's the ones I've "used only a little bit" that I hang on to.

I probably wait a little too long with the blades. Just replaced iron (but I think I want it back).

Blog Entries
    Bear- so true on all of that LOL and it is not like I don't have a stockpile of blades or needles ( buy them on sale) - maybe we think if we can make it work just a bit longer that will leave more money for fabric ? Which if I was honest I have enough fabric for 2 lifetimes LOL
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

You're preaching to the choir. My 8.5"x24" ruler (my favorite one) has a worn edge, so much that it is not straight anymore. I bought a new one. But I still use both. Why? I think it's because I'm stubborn, but I have no idea what I'm being stubborn about. I hate to change the rotary cutter blade unless I'm just starting a project, so the old one stays in there way too long. I don't change needles unless one breaks (and there I haven't seen any ill effects, at least yet, so I'm almost ready to defend that practice). However I don't use old seam rippers, mainly because I either break or lose them and so not many get to be old. Do I get points for that?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    On rulers --- If you are of the type that just can't let go of an old 6x12" that is now shaved into a slight curve, how about using it as the bottom in a quilted bag. Reinforce it with some cardboard or stiff batting (Pellon?), cover it, and place it in the bottom.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    I hear you loud and clear - now to carry through with replacements!!!
    JO

Blog Entries
    Yup, yup and yup. I'm a cheapo. I admit it. I have an 8x24 ruler that the one side is quite eroded, I did go so far as to make a large mark on it with a magic marker so I knew that was the old one. Then I bought a new one. Now I use them both for squaring up a quilt - just put them at right angles to each other and it gives me a good square for marking.
    I have a triangle ruler that has the one tip broken off.
    I don't think I've ever thrown out a seam ripper - I just get a new one and the old one disappears into the nether world of my sewing room.
    I have a pill bottle full of broken and dull needles. I've been known to pull out one of the sewing machine needles if I'm working on some really heavy fabric, or paper, or with plastic. Wouldn't want to waste a good needle on that :P
    I have spools of thread that have been chewed by the dog, or are 15 years old, and just can't seem to toss them.
    And the list goes on....
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Blog Entries
    I'm just the opposite. Once a tool doesn't perform like new it's tossed. You know the feeling of clean fresh sheets? That is the feeling I get when using perfectly working sewing tools and that's what I want. I don't waste time using worn out tools. I know a few quilters that are so cheap they would reuse staples if they could. I don't waste time trying to convince them to buy something that works for you not fights you.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
    Yup, yup and yup. I'm a cheapo. I admit it. I have an 8x24 ruler that the one side is quite eroded, I did go so far as to make a large mark on it with a magic marker so I knew that was the old one. Then I bought a new one. Now I use them both for squaring up a quilt - just put them at right angles to each other and it gives me a good square for marking.
    I have a triangle ruler that has the one tip broken off.
    I don't think I've ever thrown out a seam ripper - I just get a new one and the old one disappears into the nether world of my sewing room.
    I have a pill bottle full of broken and dull needles. I've been known to pull out one of the sewing machine needles if I'm working on some really heavy fabric, or paper, or with plastic. Wouldn't want to waste a good needle on that :P
    I have spools of thread that have been chewed by the dog, or are 15 years old, and just can't seem to toss them.
    And the list goes on....
    I'm with you on the thread. I have spools I bought while making clothes for my kids when they were 4-5 years old.
    The kids 29 and 30 now but I just can't throw the thread away.

Those of us whose moms grew up in the Depression all were raised to "make do" and save every penny. Yet how much do we pay for fabric these days? I have one of those round blade sharpeners I got years ago, and do try to hone the rotary blades, but once they have a nick, or start leaving "holidays" as I cut, I'm learning to toss them. (wrapped in newspaper, of course.) I love new toys, but am also reluctant to get rid of old ones. Sure love my almost new Gingher scissors, though.

I'm guilty as charged!