Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else use equipment/tools long after they should have been replaced? >

Anyone else use equipment/tools long after they should have been replaced?

Anyone else use equipment/tools long after they should have been replaced?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

I'm just the opposite. Once a tool doesn't perform like new it's tossed. You know the feeling of clean fresh sheets? That is the feeling I get when using perfectly working sewing tools and that's what I want. I don't waste time using worn out tools. I know a few quilters that are so cheap they would reuse staples if they could. I don't waste time trying to convince them to buy something that works for you not fights you.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
Yup, yup and yup. I'm a cheapo. I admit it. I have an 8x24 ruler that the one side is quite eroded, I did go so far as to make a large mark on it with a magic marker so I knew that was the old one. Then I bought a new one. Now I use them both for squaring up a quilt - just put them at right angles to each other and it gives me a good square for marking.
I have a triangle ruler that has the one tip broken off.
I don't think I've ever thrown out a seam ripper - I just get a new one and the old one disappears into the nether world of my sewing room.
I have a pill bottle full of broken and dull needles. I've been known to pull out one of the sewing machine needles if I'm working on some really heavy fabric, or paper, or with plastic. Wouldn't want to waste a good needle on that :P
I have spools of thread that have been chewed by the dog, or are 15 years old, and just can't seem to toss them.
And the list goes on....
I'm with you on the thread. I have spools I bought while making clothes for my kids when they were 4-5 years old.
The kids 29 and 30 now but I just can't throw the thread away.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Those of us whose moms grew up in the Depression all were raised to "make do" and save every penny. Yet how much do we pay for fabric these days? I have one of those round blade sharpeners I got years ago, and do try to hone the rotary blades, but once they have a nick, or start leaving "holidays" as I cut, I'm learning to toss them. (wrapped in newspaper, of course.) I love new toys, but am also reluctant to get rid of old ones. Sure love my almost new Gingher scissors, though.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 AM

I'm guilty as charged!