Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Putting your quilt together

Blog Entries

Red face Putting your quilt together

I saw on the board that some of you "hang" your quilt back up on a wall and then sandwich the pieces together with spray, or whatever... What I would like to know is what do you use to "hang" your pieces to on the wall? I can't get on the floor anymore and I don't have a table big enough to work off of, so I thought maybe this method would work better...but I can't imagine that thumb tacks or anything like that would hold the weight while you sandwiched the quilt together.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for this old gal.

Banned
    Patsy Thompson has a video of the method. Not sure where it is but you can search.

I have shelves on one wall and have curtain in front of it, attached at the top. I close the curtain and use as a wall. If you have space on the wall you can use a piece of flannel as base. Might have to attach to wall with hooks or board at top or as I do with curtain rod. The material clings to it and you can just pin backing first with pins on top to secure.With smaller quilts the batting will cling to the flannel. Make sure to protect everything if you want to use basting spray and open the windows. I never use it, even though I have a can. Too many fumes. I can't do any large quilts, because my area is not big enough. I go to our comminity hall to sandwich my large quilts. I am sure you'll get plenty more suggestions. Hope this helps.

I use my glass topped dining table and center first and move around until all is pinned, not enough open wall to try that.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I wish I had a wall to use, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwV8tUkhxUM
    I use the table tennis table, which is not too bad.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Do you have a local quilt store or craft store that has a class room??? You might be able to ask them if you could pin baste your quilt there. That is what I use to do when I had larger quilts. GOOD LUCK !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    I wish I had a wall to use, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwV8tUkhxUM
    I use the table tennis table, which is not too bad.
    This is the link to the Patsy Thompson video. I have used her method. She has acoustic tiles on the wall and uses pins to hold it on the wall. I have a design wall that is not too big and it has insullation board covered with warm and white. I use unprinted news print instead of the printed newsprint she shows
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    My hallway is slick paneling so my husband cut a long piece of carpet tacking board & attached it to the top of the wall. So I just sew a sort of hanging strip to the backing of my quilt & hang it up & tape sides & bottom then put batting on top of that using the little nails on the carpet board , the add the quilt itsellf (with a hanging strip) on top of that/tape good & my DH bastes it for me!! You could use the spray baste also.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies!! I'm going to try some of these suggestions in hopes I can make it easier on myself to finish my quilts. Thanks again!!!

One suggestion from a sister, if you use a design board on foam, collect your old sewing machine needles. Once they have outlived their usefullness on the sewing machine, they make great pins to pin quilts to the design wall. Of course while piecing the quilt, the fabric sticks to the flannel, but once you start to sandwich it can get heavy, and straight pins aren't as heavy or strong as the used needles. And if do a lot of quilting, you will soon collect enough needles to help with this job

I just did a lap quilt with the wall method and love it. I have a design wall made with sheet insulation covered with cotton batting. I used large safety pins to cover it with a queen sized sheet and pinned the backing securely so it didn't have a chance to wrinkle. Light spray is key and smoothing each layer well. I let it stay on the wall for overnight so it was completely dry before I started sewing it. I did stich in the ditch with a size 11 needle, Arifil thread, warm and natural cotton batting and there was not one problem. There was some overspray but the sheet did it's job.