Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Update on Harbor Freight dull blades

Blog Entries

Update on Harbor Freight dull blades

I had shared with you that the last group of cutter blades I had rec'd from Harbor Freight were extremely dull. So I contacted their customer support division on line and reported it. Today they replied they will be sending replacements.

That's great. I've had good luck with those blades.
    Jean

Blog Entries
    Good to know - thanks!
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

kso
    Can you share your HF contact info? I, too, have several dull blades, recently purchased at their Tucson store.
    "God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses" -- Robert Bontine Cunninghame-Graham, letter to Theodore Roosevelt, 1890

Good to hear as I plan on buying some tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Good to hear they have good customer service. Ive used their blades for 2 yrs now, and haven't had a problem
    Retired & enjoying life

Our local store used to get 6-12 pkgs at a time and they said that they only got them about once a month. Now that all the quilters have found out about the blades they are getting a couple dozen a week. I believe that the manufacturer may be rushing to try and fill all the orders and overlooking some of the quality control measures.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Blog Entries
    I hope to buy some blades when I get to LR. What sizes do they come in. While I use mostly 45's I do have the 60 and the 28. Would use them more ofter if were not so expensive

Quote Originally Posted by BarbM32 View Post
    I hope to buy some blades when I get to LR. What sizes do they come in. While I use mostly 45's I do have the 60 and the 28. Would use them more ofter if were not so expensive
    They only come in 1 size...45mm...These are for carpet cutting, so they don't need the specific sizes like we do.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Glad you were able to get replacements!

Thanks for the follow up, good to know they stand behind their product.
    With quilters for friends, I will always be warm.

You can also get them at JHittle.com...I've had really good luck with theirs. They were on sale when I got mine but they're around $14.95 for 10 now, I think...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I have not had good luck with them. My husband went out and bought me a bunch of them and most were unusable.
    Carmen E.

My husband not knowing about these blades asked me last night if he could borrow my rotary cutter to trim some new carpet that is too long. I told him that these were carpet cutting blades but don't know if they will work on carpet with my cutter. I guess we'll try it and see.
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

Power Poster
    That's what you call great customer service.

I have bought some but have not used them yet. Hope mine are sharp. Glad they are making yours good.

That's great they are sending replacements. I got really dull blades too, caused a lot of aggravation. I don't think I want replacements! I didn't like cleaning the oil off them either.
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    I have NEVER had good luck with them!!!!!!
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

Blog Entries
    It is so nice to hear that they stand behind their products! Thanks for sharing this with us
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

I just open my third package - sixth blade and it is working -- kind of! I probably won't be ordering these again ever!

I just got a package to try--the blade is super dull! Hope the next one will be better~~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Mine would work for a cut or two, seems like they bend or dent easily or something.
    CAS

CAS, I have used H.F. blades exclusively ever since they were first mentioned here. I have had not one problem with them. I do not think they will bend and if anything, cutting with a pin under your fabric, very definitely will put a knick in them. We need to be as careful with our $1. blades as we do out $5. blades. I have 3 different rotary cutters and they work very well in all of them. I don't understand what you mean by "or something." I bet you could cut your fingers very easily if you were not careful....or something!

Harbor Freight has a very generous return/ refund policy. If you get them via email you may return to any store for replacement or refund.....but you will need your receipt.
    June in Cincinnati

"or something" just means I can not see why there would be a problem with them. I do NOT cut over pins, LOL! I could barely cut through one layer of fabric. I don't like cleaning the oil off of them either.

Quote Originally Posted by june6995 View Post
    CAS, I have used H.F. blades exclusively ever since they were first mentioned here. I have had not one problem with them. I do not think they will bend and if anything, cutting with a pin under your fabric, very definitely will put a knick in them. We need to be as careful with our $1. blades as we do out $5. blades. I have 3 different rotary cutters and they work very well in all of them. I don't understand what you mean by "or something." I bet you could cut your fingers very easily if you were not careful....or something!

Harbor Freight has a very generous return/ refund policy. If you get them via email you may return to any store for replacement or refund.....but you will need your receipt.
    CAS

Blog Entries
    Okay, here we go. Paula Fullager sent me 3 blades to try out. Man!!!! I couldn't cut ANYTHING with any of them. There must have been a bad batch made!!!. I have never had any that bad. I tried 2 different rotary cutters. I have an old Kai Cut one, the center hole is a little snug, so then I tried my Olfa cutter. Still wouldn't cut. Next I got out a new pack of blades I got a few months ago, WOW what a difference, cut like going through butter. I would say to all of you that have bad blades to take them back to the store and COMPLAIN! They will never know a bad batch came through if we don't complain. I don't see how those blades would even cut carpet, they are so bad. You can feel flat spots as it rolls along. If it won't cut 100% cotton, it won't cut anything. Thanks for allowing me to test them out. Conclusion: RETURN YOUR BAD BLADES!!!