Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: pyramid block - HELP

I need to make 12 - 12"finished blocks(12.5 unf.) this square basically looks like a giant X. the center is a sq in a sq. extending out from ea side are 2 flying geese, flying towards the OUTSIDE corners. There is a small triangle at each corner. there is a large on ea side that finishes squaring the block. Is there another name for this block? I can't find it! I think the middle will be3",then6"& the geese6x3, finished. need to figure out my yardage & fastest way to sew. I don't like the block but it's what I was assigned, so I want to get it over with & of course, I want to rotary cut it!! THANK YOU!!!

any chance you can provide a picture or a drawing?

I can't tell you the name of the block, but you might find it on
    http/:www.quilterscache.com/
    They have oodles of blocks with directions.
    Good luck.

Note: I didn't put the link in right. Sorry.

np3
    Blog Entries
    I need a drawing or something. I have a book I can look in, but I need more of a description.

Blog Entries
    You said you were assigned to make this bock. Do you possibly have a picture of it you can post? Or is it in a book?

I'll try to post it tomorrow when I can call my friend-- I scanned the drawing BUT I fail at the rest of the procedure! tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by quilt crazee
    I need to make 12 - 12"finished blocks(12.5 unf.) this square basically looks like a giant X. the center is a sq in a sq. extending out from ea side are 2 flying geese, flying towards the OUTSIDE corners. There is a small triangle at each corner. there is a large on ea side that finishes squaring the block. Is there another name for this block? I can't find it! I think the middle will be3",then6"& the geese6x3, finished. need to figure out my yardage & fastest way to sew. I don't like the block but it's what I was assigned, so I want to get it over with & of course, I want to rotary cut it!! THANK YOU!!!
    Is this the block? http://www.alexandersonquilts.com/bl...lownsquare.htm

If it is, I just uploaded instructions on another thread for Windblown Square.

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    no, it isn't.I did go to quilterscache.com & it IS VERY simular to toad in the puddle block, except the middle is a sq in a sq. thanks!
    Is this the block? http://www.alexandersonquilts.com/bl...lownsquare.htm

If it is, I just uploaded instructions on another thread for Windblown Square.

Power Poster
    Can you do a rough draft and scan it?

I am electronically challenged or computer stupid, however you want to look at it> Will try in the morning w/help of a phone friend! sorry-so many shortcomings, so little time! LOL!!

Power Poster
    Is this what the block looks like?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, I have several vintage quilt books with patterns they are drawn on a grid and can be sized up or down depending on the sizes you want to end up with so there is a bit of math that enters into it at some point. Once I see your post perhaps I can help. Won,t be back home till next Tues, Loving the grandkids this week. Good Luck, this board is so helpful I'm sure you will find what you need.

Blog Entries
    you have me curious now!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    yes! this is the block. does it have another name? I just want simple. I need to figure szs,ect, so I can do yardages & rotary cut. 12" finished/12.5 not finished. I thought the BEST way to sew would be upper left corner to lower right,then sew the 2 remaining"triangle" parts, then sew the 3 sections together.---what do you think?

can't speak to the sizes, but I think your plan for the stitching is correct...do the three sections then put them all together.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    yes! this is the block. does it have another name? I just want simple. I need to figure szs,ect, so I can do yardages & rotary cut. 12" finished/12.5 not finished. I thought the BEST way to sew would be upper left corner to lower right,then sew the 2 remaining"triangle" parts, then sew the 3 sections together.---what do you think?
    I think "you've got it"!

It also looks like it would paper piece fairly easily, if you prefer that method.

The drawing is 1/3 scale - it appears to be drawn on an 8x8 grid.

Hope you cut and sew with straighter lines than I can draw!

Power Poster
    One can also fold paper to help create block patterns.