Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Q- Snap frame >

Q- Snap frame

Q- Snap frame

Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

The back feet tilting additions make the frame more comfortable to use. I use mine for basting. I use a clip to hold the backing, batting, and top together at each side center. This lets me put the quilt squared up by having the clips show me the center. After centering the quilt on the frame I then put on the snap holders and turn to get the quilt snug. I baste the middle out. Once the middle is basted I take the quilt out and usually don't need the frame to finish basting to the edges. One thing, be sure to color or number code the pieces before you take the frame apart. It makes it so much easier to put it back together when you only have a picture to go by.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I'm not sure how to use a Q-snap to baste. When I had a Q-snap floor frame, I thread-basted the quilt before putting it in the Q-snap. I ended up giving away my Q-snap floor frame, though, because it was hard on my back -- too much bending over the frame. For hand quilting, I now prefer a lap hoop. However, that too requires the quilt to be basted first!
I plan to lay all three layers on the frame and let them drape so no wrinkles, and then put the clamps on. I plan to use Sharon Schamber's method of basting. I hope it will work that way. I have no tolerance for wrinkles or tucks on my quilt backs, lol.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
The back feet tilting additions make the frame more comfortable to use. I use mine for basting. I use a clip to hold the backing, batting, and top together at each side center. This lets me put the quilt squared up by having the clips show me the center. After centering the quilt on the frame I then put on the snap holders and turn to get the quilt snug. I baste the middle out. Once the middle is basted I take the quilt out and usually don't need the frame to finish basting to the edges. One thing, be sure to color or number code the pieces before you take the frame apart. It makes it so much easier to put it back together when you only have a picture to go by.
Thank you for the tips and the info on how you do it. That will help me a lot.