Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QB- Good and Bad >

QB- Good and Bad

QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 AM

No matter the price of your fabric it is each stitch you put into those quilts with love that count - call each one "stitches of love" and I'm sure if you didn't do something right so those quilts are usable - you'd have been discouraged from quilting long ago - keep up the good work and I praise you for your efforts in elder care and your son - you are a wonderful person to be able to do all this and quilt too - enjoy! God bless you and every stitch you put into your quilts!!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 AM

You have the heart and soul of a TRUE quilter.... hugs to you.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:20 AM

You sound like a pioneer woman to me. They did with what they had. I am sure that none of them had a quilting machine or an electric machine to piece on, or for that manner perhaps even a machine at all. You have your hands full every day and have some of the most difficult of jobs there is, being a caretaker, wife and mother. You have the energy and love to continue to quilt is quite a credit to you. You sound like a person who has found a way to do the things you need to do and still have an outlet and way to do what you love. There may be more "beautiful" quilts out there, and many are made with love, but some of the most beautiful quilts are the ones my mother made, that was made for survival (warmth from the freezing winter nights) and made with her own hands. They didn't have the prettiest colors, or perfect material, some were just big blocks of dark woolen material, some were from cotton dresses or clothes that had faded, and worn out in spots, but the good parts were recycled to make quilts. I know that your quilts are just beautiful also. You are making lasting history and some day they may be in a home or even a museum. Where ever they will go, you are doing something that makes you happy and that is the best thing possible. I hope you realize just how special and important that is. I do.

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
After joining this QB(and I love it) it has been a downer and upper for me. I have gotten a lot of inspiration and encouragement from it. But, after having quilted for many years and many, many quilts I am depressed to find that I am not much of a quilter. I always thought quilting was for the love of it not perfection. I don't have a fancy machine, I have problems with my 1/4 inch seam, I don't prewash, I use what thread I have, I use what fabric I can afford, and I am always confused with which way to press a seam. So you can see I don't do much of anything right. Sure hope Charisma can quilt the Snake River log cabin I sent to her. But I just thank God that I can enjoy quilting because I love it. I am a caregiver for my 87 yr old brother, my 76 yr old husband and my 56 year old son. It is an outlet for me. I thank God for it. Love all of you on the board. God bless
Old 07-10-2011, 10:21 AM

Perfect quilts are not for me, love quilts are. There is always love put into a quilt I do.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:25 AM

I love your avatar and it looks very professional. I don't think you have a thing to be ashamed of. Is that quilt appliqued? It is gorgeous.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:25 AM

Joy, you are my kind of quilter. My quilts are awful but I love making them and family and friends love getting them. They don't know 1/4 inch from the wall so it doesn't matter if some of the lines might now be quite "right".
Old 07-10-2011, 10:27 AM

I think your quilting sounds great! To quilt for relaxation, the joy of quilting, and as a creative outlet is perfect! I'm like you: I quilt for fun, relaxation, and a creative outlet. I don't sew perfectly. I even don't correct mistakes if they are barely noticable. I make projects the way I like them rather than some posh, hotsy, totsy way. I try to buy fabrics I like that seem to be decent quality, at the best price possible. Don't compare yourself to any other quilter. It doesn't matter what reasons others quilt for, or if some of them want to spend a lot of money on the coolest, most expensive toys. What matters is that you enjoy what you're doing!

Becky
Old 07-10-2011, 10:29 AM

Joy,
You are a quilter! You don't need a fancy machine to piece quilts with. Most of my quilts are pieced on a treadle machine that only
does a straight stitch and its over 100 years old. As long as you're happy with your quilts that's all that matters. I make quilts for comfort not perfection.
hugs,
Sharon W.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:30 AM

Joy: Do not compare yourself with others.Many of us would love to be as good as you are. I am much like you, and have a time with "perfect", but I just don't let it bother me that much. I enjoy what I do, and my quilts are filled with love, and I am sure yours are too. What I have seen are so nice~~~~ wow!!! (sent you a PM)
Blessings, Roberta Marie
Old 07-10-2011, 10:31 AM

It's the love that goes into a quilt that matters. FORGET the quilt police.

I sew because I enjoy it and I find inspiration in trying new things with fabrics.

I'm definately not a cookie cutter quilter.

You don't need the most expensive tools out there to enjoy this, or fabrics or threads.

As long as you are happy and you enjoy sewing/quilting that is all it matters.

I intentionally do my own things and create my own designs regarding quilting and I purposely use colorful fabrics mixed in with others just to piss off the quilt police in our area. Amazingly what I create comes out nice.......so I'm told by some of them.

Just do as you please with it and KNOW THAT YOU ARE A QUILTER.