Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QB- Good and Bad >

QB- Good and Bad

QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-16-2011, 01:11 PM

[quote=Joy Higdon]After joining this QB(and I love it) it has been a downer and upper for me. I have gotten a lot of inspiration and encouragement from it. But, after having quilted for many years and many, many quilts I am depressed to find that I am not much of a quilter. I always thought quilting was for the love of it not perfection. I don't have a fancy machine, I have problems with my 1/4 inch seam, I don't prewash, I use what thread I have, I use what fabric I can afford, and I am always confused with which way to press a seam. So you can see I don't do much of anything right. Sure hope Charisma can quilt the Snake River log cabin I sent to her. But I just thank God that I can enjoy quilting because I love it. I am a caregiver for my 87 yr old brother, my 76 yr old husband and my 56 year old son. It is an outlet for me. I thank God for it. Love all of you on the board. God bless[/quot

You're my knid of quilter! Be happy and pleased with your quilting.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:59 PM

Boy, does that ever sound familiar, I am not a perfectionist but I do the best I can and love everything about quilting except sandwiching, I don't know what I would do without it!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:51 PM

I had an instructor who told me her grandma told her she would hang her finished quilt over a fence and ride by in her buggy. If she could see a mistake she had to fix it, if not it was perfect. I have adopted that attitude. Like you I absolutely love quilting and fabric and everything to do with it and love doing baby quilts for friends and family. They are not perfect, but made with love. You are a quilter! be proud.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by saf
Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
After joining this QB(and I love it) it has been a downer and upper for me. I have gotten a lot of inspiration and encouragement from it. But, after having quilted for many years and many, many quilts I am depressed to find that I am not much of a quilter. I always thought quilting was for the love of it not perfection. I don't have a fancy machine, I have problems with my 1/4 inch seam, I don't prewash, I use what thread I have, I use what fabric I can afford, and I am always confused with which way to press a seam. So you can see I don't do much of anything right. Sure hope Charisma can quilt the Snake River log cabin I sent to her. But I just thank God that I can enjoy quilting because I love it. I am a caregiver for my 87 yr old brother, my 76 yr old husband and my 56 year old son. It is an outlet for me. I thank God for it. Love all of you on the board. God bless
My grandmother and her friends didn't have fancy machines, just a treadle that did a straight stitch. I know that they used the fabric that was left over from other sewing and the thread was the same as they used for sewing clothes. Templates and patterns were made from whatever card or paper they had to hand. I could go on. They made beautiful quilts with love and care. Were they perfect? Probably not. Were they quilters? They certainly were and so are you. :thumbup:
Well said, saf! I was a garment sewer all my life. I have LOTS of ""garment-quality" thread on hand -- and bobbins galore with these threads. So everytime I piece I use up bobbins that are already filled (saves time for the fun stuff -- the piecing). You are a quilter like many of us. We can learn from the more experienced quilters, but we are quilters in our own right. I am so thankful for being among the quilters in this group. I have learned something everytime I click into this forum....and you will too. If you're making a quilt, there's no "wrong" way...perhaps an easier way or a more time-or-energy-saving way. I get inspiration everytime I see another beautiful quilt made by the super people here. Some of these I know I could never achieve, but seeing them fills my heart and motivates me to keep on keeping on.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 AM

You are a special person to be such a busy and caring person to take care of all the "guys" in your life!! I have no doubt that your caring and love goes into each and every one of your quilts. They too are special - Keep up the great work!!! cheryl :thumbup:
Old 07-31-2011, 11:00 AM

God bless you, Joy; It sounds like you quilt for all the right reasons!