Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QR Code Quilts >

QR Code Quilts

QR Code Quilts

Old 11-21-2012, 05:01 AM

Default using qr codes

Love QR codes. I took the names of DD cats and dogs and turned them into QR codes which printed about 12 times on a page on the on Bubble Jet prepared fabric. Then used that fabric in the quilt numerous times.

Tried to upload the photos but nothing would be accepted today. Anyway, used the fabric for the ears on one block, body on another, etc. Came out adorable.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I think you have sparked some interest in QR quilts. I know you got me thinking.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 AM

Very interesting! I am planning on making both my boys couch quilts for xmas this year... this would be a fabulous idea for the backing!
I found an online code generator http://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/ I did it for their names and birthdates. It's neat to see how when you start adding their interests how much the pattern changes. I think I'll do mine in scraps more or less.
Now that I have the codes, I just need to graph it out. It should actually be fairly easy. I figure start below the corner squares and do them row by row then fill in the top and bottom after I have the rest done.

I'm so happy I looked at this thread! I really wanted to do something interesting and unique. This will definitely fit that bill and they'll both love it!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 AM

My friend Cindi and I use QR codes on our quilts, in addition to the traditional label. It has contact info in case a quilt is lost or stolen.

http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/201...uilt-qr-codes/
Old 11-21-2012, 04:22 PM

Default QR Code

I just recently finished one for my husband as his birthday present. It went really quickly. I used a blue mottled and plain Kona white. I found a QR code creator and typed in my message. Then I printed out the qr code.

If you just take a ruler and draw lines from the top to bottom and right to left you'll end up with like a grid. Each grid would represent 1 square. I decided to make my squares 3 1/2 inches so finished they would be 3 inches.

Most QR codes are 25 x 25. I decided I wanted to add a white border around the entire quilt. So it made mine 27 x 27. It worked out to about 81 x 81 inches.

I counted the white and dark squares so I'd know how many to cut. I had no idea how much fabric to buy but decided to just buy 4 yards of each. I ended up using about 3 1/2 of one color and about 3 yards of the other.

If you follow the grid correctly your quilt will be able to be scanned. Mine will even scan from a photo.

I decided on the back (it had to be pieced) to take some of the extra squares and made a line down the middle breaking up the backing.

If you have any questions, please let me know!!
Attached Thumbnails georgesqr.jpg  

Last edited by Momyar; 11-21-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:30 PM

I've been wanting to make one too, so I'm glad to see the topic addressed and give thanks to the posters who supplied links as well as instructions.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 PM

It might take a moment or two to scan it. Sometimes the lighting on the screen will mess it up. But it will scan the message for my husband's birthday.