Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: QR Code Quilts

Blog Entries

QR Code Quilts

I seen a few QR Code quilts and I'm interested in making one. But a few questions first.
    Have you made one?
    How did you block it out into sections? and enlarge it?
    what size strips did you work with?
    what size did you make? i would like to do a queen
    i found a free program to generate the code on google there are alot of them
    Thank you for your interest and your help its greatly apreciated
    Sandra
    Warm Regards,
    Sandra

I am going to be following this, because I'm curious as well. I also know that color choice plays a part in how the code scans.

Blog Entries
    i have seen them in black and white and red and white in quilts and generated a pattern already. its just figuring out the rest to get it into a quilt
    Warm Regards,
    Sandra

Pardon me! What is a QR Code Quilt? I feel uninformed by this one!

I am with Deanne, what is a QR Code Quilt?

Blog Entries
    Me too, what's a QR Code Quilt?

Blog Entries
    Here is a good explanation of the QR code http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    If you really want to know....do a Google. In simple terms it is the newest form of "bar codes". Perfect quilt for someone that is high tech....I'm VERY low tech

Blog Entries
    I did my family names although I only have 4 of us in code
    Warm Regards,
    Sandra

Now that I looked up what a "QR Code Quilt" is, why would you want to make one? I think it would keep me up nights! HEHE! I'd rather make a crossword puzzle quilt.

Blog Entries
    its something different i'll probably get bored with it but it looks challenging
    Warm Regards,
    Sandra

Banned
    There is one shown at: http://www.ctmodernquiltguild.com/ At least I assume that picture is of a quilt.

Banned
    I tried posting a site showing a picture of a quilt. I assume it is a quilt. For some reason it didn't take. Sp
    search Modern Quilt guild and click under Connecticut. Their logo appears to be one of these quilts.
    I see above that my message took. So ignore this one.

Blog Entries
    Thats it I wish there was a pattern for one I think my daughter would be amazed that inspires me..
    Warm Regards,
    Sandra

Blog Entries
    I had to go look it up too. I have to admit that I didn't have a clue as to what you were talking about. Looks interesting. Would like to see one made up. If you make one, be sure to post it!!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

I just heard at my LQS this evening that there is a free website that will turn it into a grid for you but no one knew the info. :-( if I hear any further I will post, because I really want to make one.

The cool thing about a QR Code quilt is you can put anything (I think there is a limit of letters, maybe around 250-ish) into code so you can make one that says Happy Birthday Joe, or a marriage date with names, or congrats on retirement, or a name, or just nonsense. Anyone with a smart phone can download a program that "reads" the code and the saying will appear on the phone. My granddaughter is graduating from high school this year and my nephew from college and I am considering making one for each of them with the name of their school and graduation date. I just have to get my DH to help me with the math and graphing and them pick the colors.
    Lynne

Blog Entries
    Thank you Ladies for your thoughts and info gathering I am looking forward to more
    Warm Regards,
    Sandra

Here is a Flicker tutorial http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluecot...7626928310163/. And this is a link to the quilters blog about the QR Code quilt http://poppyprintcreates.blogspot.co...ode-quilt.html.
    Laurlyn
    Innova 26" w/LS

I generated a QR code and than made a grid. All squares are the same size so the grid is simple. Count the number of squares in one direction and multiply by inches finished. If there are for example 30 squares x 2" = 60" width. With seam allowance of 1/4" your squares need to be 2.5 x2.5". This is just an example. I do not have my design book in front of me. Good luck! I am in planning stages as well. I have no time right now for such an involved project.

using qr codes

Love QR codes. I took the names of DD cats and dogs and turned them into QR codes which printed about 12 times on a page on the on Bubble Jet prepared fabric. Then used that fabric in the quilt numerous times.

Tried to upload the photos but nothing would be accepted today. Anyway, used the fabric for the ears on one block, body on another, etc. Came out adorable.
    Suzie
    Author; I Don't Know Where I Want to Be -But it Isn't Here!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I think you have sparked some interest in QR quilts. I know you got me thinking.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Very interesting! I am planning on making both my boys couch quilts for xmas this year... this would be a fabulous idea for the backing!
    I found an online code generator http://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/ I did it for their names and birthdates. It's neat to see how when you start adding their interests how much the pattern changes. I think I'll do mine in scraps more or less.
    Now that I have the codes, I just need to graph it out. It should actually be fairly easy. I figure start below the corner squares and do them row by row then fill in the top and bottom after I have the rest done.

I'm so happy I looked at this thread! I really wanted to do something interesting and unique. This will definitely fit that bill and they'll both love it!

Blog Entries
    My friend Cindi and I use QR codes on our quilts, in addition to the traditional label. It has contact info in case a quilt is lost or stolen.

http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/201...uilt-qr-codes/

QR Code

I just recently finished one for my husband as his birthday present. It went really quickly. I used a blue mottled and plain Kona white. I found a QR code creator and typed in my message. Then I printed out the qr code.

If you just take a ruler and draw lines from the top to bottom and right to left you'll end up with like a grid. Each grid would represent 1 square. I decided to make my squares 3 1/2 inches so finished they would be 3 inches.

Most QR codes are 25 x 25. I decided I wanted to add a white border around the entire quilt. So it made mine 27 x 27. It worked out to about 81 x 81 inches.

I counted the white and dark squares so I'd know how many to cut. I had no idea how much fabric to buy but decided to just buy 4 yards of each. I ended up using about 3 1/2 of one color and about 3 yards of the other.

If you follow the grid correctly your quilt will be able to be scanned. Mine will even scan from a photo.

I decided on the back (it had to be pieced) to take some of the extra squares and made a line down the middle breaking up the backing.

If you have any questions, please let me know!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Momyar; 11-21-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    Gold and Silver are made purer and stronger by Fire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast