Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quality Fabric

Quality Fabric

Just received my first order from Marshall Drygoods. Snuggle flannel. I was pleasantly surprised because I paid far less per yard than the usual chain near me, and the quality, the feel (even after washing it) is wonderful. I will be buying all my backing fabric there from now on... it is even worth paying the shipping. And surprising to me, the color ended up being a Perfect match for my quilt!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-26-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Yay for your success with your order. It's nice when the fabric is exactly as expected. I've had good luck ordering on-line with different vendors so far. One of my orders was almost $5.00 per yard less than the local shops so even shipping charges weren't a concern.

Rhonda K, where do you order for $5.00 less per yard. I want in on some of that action too.

I love Marshall's. I have lots of their blenders and backings. I buy my rolls of batting from them wholesale, and also the big cones of tex 40 thread (1200 yards).
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have ordered fabrics from Marshall's before and very pleased with the products. Great customer service too.

How can someone that has been quilting for 20 years and never having heard of Marshall Dry Goods. Oh my, I really do need to get out more often . Thanks for showing me my next place to by 108" backing.
    I aspire to inspire before I expire. LT

Blog Entries
    I have purchased quite a bit of fabric from Marshallís. Iíve been very pleased with all Iíve gotten. I bought the bundles of 108Ē backs, and the batik bundles, plus white on whites ($3.99 a yd) really a keeper for the money

Quote Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
    Rhonda K, where do you order for $5.00 less per yard. I want in on some of that action too.
    The fabrics were almost $5.00 LESS per yard. Local shop was 12.99 and I purchased the same fabric for about $8 something per yard.

https://www.fabric.com/find?SearchText=uncorked

I shop Marshall's because it's about 2 hours from me. The best kept secret of the whole place is Quilter's Dream Cotton. I buy it by the bolt. I can't tell any difference from Moda Bella. It also comes in wide backing but only in muslin color for that. I buy the name brand fabric there like Hoffman Batkiks, Robert Kauffman, Riley Blake, Timeless Treasures, Bernatex, etc. MDG's brand seems a little stiff to me but very good. Going to the warehouse I can see all they have so it's worth it to me to buy the name brands for no more then $5 yard or less. The warehouse has several aisles of notions too.

You don't have to have a tax ID to buy wholesale there but you do have to buy the whole bolt and buy from a rep. To buy yardage, it's cut to measure on the retail side. Yardage costs more then the whole bolt. To pay the employees who work in the retail side I imagine. Go to the wholesale site and sign up for the emails. You will get pictures of all the new fabrics .

http://www.marshalldrygoodswholesale.com/
    Last edited by Onebyone; 05-27-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Whittles.com Is a fabulous online shop. Thousands of bolts is another.

Blog Entries
    I’ve read many members’ posts that have been satisfied with Marshall’s but I’ve not yet purchased from them. I’m trying to use up some of my existing stash...
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Thanks ladies for the info on great fabric buys! Love to site see at all the wonderful online shops.

Did you find the Snuggle flannel to be double woven, I think is the term when it is a bit thicker than some flannels?

Blog Entries
    Are the prices listed on Marshall's Dry Goods website for 1 yard or 1/2 yard? Couldn't find anywhere that indicated this! Prices seem too good to be true if per yard!

Quote Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
    Are the prices listed on Marshall's Dry Goods website for 1 yard or 1/2 yard? Couldn't find anywhere that indicated this! Prices seem too good to be true if per yard!
    If you click on the item for more information it states that it is for one yard...

I try to support my local Quilt shops. They keep their prices lower than a lot of places but they cant beat the discount places like Marshals Dry Goods and offer the best fabric. I shop local because the day is coming when the locals will all be gone. Also if I have a problem, or need a large table table to cut on my store welcomes me in. They also have great classes and nice kits. I have made a lot of friends at the two shops here in South Carolina. Dont think any of those things would happen if I ordered online.

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    I try to support my local Quilt shops. They keep their prices lower than a lot of places but they cant beat the discount places like Marshals Dry Goods and offer the best fabric. I shop local because the day is coming when the locals will all be gone. Also if I have a problem, or need a large table table to cut on my store welcomes me in. They also have great classes and nice kits. I have made a lot of friends at the two shops here in South Carolina. Dont think any of those things would happen if I ordered online.
    I wholeheartedly agree! I have an awesome LQS and the owner is worth her weight in gold! She is an expert in quiltmaking and sewing clothes, in addition to being really nice and having a great eye for choosing fabrics. She always keeps a sale section so there is definitely something for everyone. I support her business because I want her to stay in business!
    For me, it's about the process; the final outcome is incidental

Y'all are very fortunate that you have local quilt shops. I think the closest one to me is about 45 or 50 miles away. Not really local cause it is in a totally different town and county.

I bought fabric from Marshalls and was very happy with it. I especially loved the flannel I bought from them. I just love a thick flannel and that is what I got. I recently picked up some flannel from Hancock's of Paducah and was very disappointed in how thin it is. All I can say is I'm very happy that I don't live close to either of these shops!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!