Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality of Fabrics in Charm Packs? >

Quality of Fabrics in Charm Packs?

Quality of Fabrics in Charm Packs?

Old 10-08-2011, 11:57 PM

Please help. I haven't used charms and am wondering about the quality of the fabrics. I recently made a D9P baby quilt out of FQs and found that the quality of the fabrics were quite inconsistant. Some of them stretched so much more than others that it was hard to match seams. Maybe they had been cut on the bias. I wanted to use them up though before purchasing more fabric.

So I thought I would ask the talented quilters here if the fabrics in Charm Packs work well together before I buy some. Cutting all of the 81 5/5 squares for the nine blocks I used took me a few hours and then I had to square all of them before starting to sew. All of that standing had my osteoporosis aching and my right arm was very sore and painful that night. My DH asked if I couldn't buy some already cut. Of course I told him yes. He told me to get some before I do another D9P quilt. I told him I would. :)
Old 10-09-2011, 12:16 AM

If you buy quality charm packs/jelly rolls/layer cakes ie. Moda you will have no problems!!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:19 AM

I use my Accuquilt Go...if you love Charm quilts the 5 inch die is perfect! Many say its expensive for the dies...you do not have to buy all the dies just the ones you use all the time. I do have a lot of dies but if I have to do it over again...would only buy the ones that I do use...the tumber, strips, 5 inch square, 10 in square. It really makes quilting more enjoyable...I hardly ever use my rotary blade. - love, love my GO
Old 10-09-2011, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I use my Accuquilt Go...if you love Charm quilts the 5 inch die is perfect! Many say its expensive for the dies...you do not have to buy all the dies just the ones you use all the time. I do have a lot of dies but if I have to do it over again...would only buy the ones that I do use...the tumber, strips, 5 inch square, 10 in square. It really makes quilting more enjoyable...I hardly ever use my rotary blade. - love, love my GO
Unfortunately there won't ever be a 10" square for the Go. It's not wide enough.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:09 AM

I have the Studio too...sorry for the confusion...I have sooo...many dies...but I do love them both...the Go and Studio. Well its off to the Gym I go...Planet Fitness here I come!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Power Poster

I have had no problems with the Moda charm packs.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by blueangel
I have had no problems with the Moda charm packs.
Ditto.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

it of course depends on the quality of the fabric they start out being- since charms are simply 5" squares cut from yardage-
if the yardage is a good quality fabric- the charms are going to be also-
if you purchase (name brand like moda or thimbleberries) from reputable quilt shops you will get good fabric-
if you buy them at wally world- or joannes- or some other big-box store chances are they are not going to be as good- and if you buy from ebay- or some place where you are buying from an individual---who knows what you will get
when you go to an lqs - charm packs are usually sitting on shelves- you can pick them up- touch them- see what they are...and most of the time see the fabric lines they go with too---so you can check out the yardage and see if they are what you really want.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:43 AM

Wow u go to the gym at 02 in am?
Old 10-09-2011, 04:46 AM

I have a comment about Moda charms/precuts. I did not love the pinked edges at first, but now I really appreciate them! To finish a quilt the way I wanted, I ordered a set of 2.5 inch strips cut from yardage. The seller did a great job and I'm glad to have them, but I know now that I like the pinked edges better than these stringy edges I'm getting as these pieces get handled and are waiting their turn to be made into blocks! I'm a fan of these precuts these days as I'm short on time and space, with a long list of projects!