Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality fabrics....... >

Quality fabrics.......

Quality fabrics.......

Old 10-22-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
I want to start my next project but I don't know anything about what Brands of fabric to buy. What are some of the better Brand names, reasonably priced, about $8.00-10.00 a yard. I should be able to get some pretty nice fabric for that price, right???
If you go to thousand of bolts online you can get quality, brand name fabrics for less than $5.50 a yard.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:22 AM

if you want quality brands do not go to Joanna fabric store, the first time you wash the fabric from there you are left with gauze, or very thing stuff. all the sizing washes out.
If you lived in San Diego I would take you to rose quilt shop: www.rosiescalicocupboard.com/
Old 10-22-2011, 07:29 AM
RDM

Check out your LQS, they also may have a reduced section, ask about sale events. EQuilter.com I found to be most true to color for on-line, but have had great luck at Thousand of Bolts, also for less expensive backings. Thing about on-line is you cannot feel the "hand" of the fabric or review colors/value placement as well.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:32 AM

Do not buy fabric with a lot of sizing in it. When you wash it there is nothing left. I usually stick to the well known brands.
good luck with your new project.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:55 AM

I want to start my next project but I don't know anything about what Brands of fabric to buy. What are some of the better Brand names, reasonably priced, about $8.00-10.00 a yard. I should be able to get some pretty nice fabric for that price, right???
If you have a nice quilt shop owner, explain to her you want to know about fabric. She might explain to you, if she is not busy, how fabric is made and thread counts, etc.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:26 AM

I don't know what part of Maryland you're from but I am on the Eastern Shore and if I'm careful (ie if I actually look at the price on the end of the bolt!) I can still get good, LQS fabrics for less $10/yd.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:29 AM

I don't want to jinx you (or myself!) but I have bought a lot of quilt fabric on-line and never been burned by the quality.
Originally Posted by watterstide
there are so many quality fabrics out there..
you should go visit a few on line stores.
or visit your local quilt shop..

thousands of bolts
fabric.com
etc..so many !
I don't like the online stores, I can't actually see the fabric or touch it. I hardly ever ever ever buy online. But I do have a favorite QS and I'm planning on going to a few more before I choose my fabric. Thanks! ! !
Old 10-22-2011, 09:09 AM

my rule of thumb is : if you hold 1 layer up to a well lite area and CAN"T read a newspaper through it then it's usually a good fabric. I have tried the feel or touch method but so fabrics that feel good may not be that great once they are washed. I have never fail with my rule of thumb method. Give it a try, go to any store you wish and pick out a few fabrics that you like and hold them up and compare what you can see through them.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:04 AM

If you can almost see through the quilting cotton, that is not good quilting material. I see a lot of fat quarters made from this at Wal-mart, yet there are a few that is good. Start feeling the quilting fabrics, as you can tell if it is good or bad for quilting, just by the feel. It will feel skimpy or feel thicker.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by merry
IMHO you can't get any better than Moda.
GO MODA!!!!!