Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality fabrics....... >

Quality fabrics.......

Quality fabrics.......

Old 10-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
I want to start my next project but I don't know anything about what Brands of fabric to buy. What are some of the better Brand names, reasonably priced, about $8.00-10.00 a yard. I should be able to get some pretty nice fabric for that price, right???
Do you have someone who can go with you to a fabric store and teach you what is meant by "hand?" The way a fabric feels to you is the "hand," and once you have learned what you want in the way of "hand," you can judge fabric. Don't be deceived by brand names; one of two of what used to be the best changed the methods used to finish the surface of the fabric and is now not one whit better than you can find at WalMart, JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby. There are some not so well known brands that I think are wonderful. One of them is Blank fabric (that's the manufacturer's name.) It's not always easy to find.

I confess, I love lots of WalMart fabric and figure the quilts I make from it (1) are just as lovely as those made with $13 a yard fabric and (2) will be around a long time after I gone.

My grandmother and great grandmother made quilts using worn out shirts and dresses and those quilts are still around! froggyintexas
Old 10-22-2011, 12:27 PM

go to local quilt shops (not craft/hobby chains) and buy fabrics from the sale bins. You can get all the fabric you need within your price range --- and you'll be getting good fabric. Then think about using good thread. Watch for packaging that has you paying more for "all purpose" thread than for thread made for quilting. What seems like a good deal sometimes isn't. Why sew on good fabric with poor thread? The thread needs to last as long as the fabric.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:44 PM

Head out to some LQS and just "feel" the fabrics while making a mental note of which brands you like. I personally love the way Blank Quilting fabrics feel - like high thread count all cotton sheets- the kind without sateen. Then Robert Kaufman, RJR, and Red Rooster all feel great. Online stores are great sources for fabric and once you get accustomed to "the fabric's touch and feel", you may be more comfortable with ordering from them. I buy what I like according to feel and durability while fitting it into the design of the project. Good luck-it is a fun journey of quilting.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter
Head out to some LQS and just "feel" the fabrics while making a mental note of which brands you like. I personally love the way Blank Quilting fabrics feel - like high thread count all cotton sheets- the kind without sateen. Then Robert Kaufman, RJR, and Red Rooster all feel great. Online stores are great sources for fabric and once you get accustomed to "the fabric's touch and feel", you may be more comfortable with ordering from them. I buy what I like according to feel and durability while fitting it into the design of the project. Good luck-it is a fun journey of quilting.
I love Blank fabric, also. I wish it were easier to find. froggyintexas
Old 10-22-2011, 12:59 PM

I want to start my next project but I don't know anything about what Brands of fabric to buy. What are some of the better Brand names, reasonably priced, about $8.00-10.00 a yard. I should be able to get some pretty nice fabric for that price, right???
I would order some from a reputable shop and then you'll know what you're looking for next time. My suggestions are equilter.com or keepsakequilting.com and everybody has their favorites! Equilter has an incredible variety, that's why I often turn to them.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:06 PM

I have been buying from ConnectingThreads.com and I have not been disappointed!! They have the best of the best in my opinion. I've made three large tops so far and am still pleased. Their threads are great, too. The specials are really great. I walked into Hancock's the other day, walked around, looked came home and placed an order. It came yesterday and was well worth waiting for. I'm sure there are others but I am happy with ConnectingThreads - and no, I don't work for them...:)
Old 10-22-2011, 01:15 PM

Go to your local quilting/fabric store....almost the smaller the better...walk around, touch every bolt of fabric...some of going to feel rough, then some are going to feel middle.....you are looking for the soft ones, the ones that you would want to rub on your face, the ones that feel like a babies bottom.....hold the fabric up to the light...you do not want to be able to see thru it...that is a tight weave....then start talking to the sales people, find a nice middle aged grandmother ask he is she quilts for how long.....if more than a hundred, you have a winner and she will guide you....touch, feel, look listen...learn.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:10 PM

My eyes may attract me to a fabric, but then I close them and feel the fabric--is is course, thin, and scratchy? I won't pay for that that! It should be opaque, printed straight, have a good "hand" (drape) to it and feel smooth and silky. THEN it's worth my $$.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:32 PM

Support your LQS!!!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 03:13 PM

I bought some Davids Textile off the clearance table at WalMart for $1 a yard. This particular line, I and several of my quilty friends as well, cannot tell the difference between it and the moda that I paid $10 a yard for. This is why I don't like to buy online, I have been disappointed too often. I can feel a bargain in my hands, but not on the screen.