Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality and price of fabrics >

Quality and price of fabrics

Quality and price of fabrics

Old 09-14-2022, 07:29 AM

I can't get help for fabric in my Walmart! JoAnn's too far away anyway.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:45 AM

I bought some yardage from Fat Quarter Shop and The Green Fairy that were Moda fabric and they were as thin as some from Joann fabric. Seems like the higher the price these days doesn’t necessarily mean better quality IMHO.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:09 AM

Odd person out here, but I've had great luck at Joann's. Just bought thread there, and at buy 3/get 2 free, got what I needed. I also do button art, and found the same deal on buttons. They also had some great crafty sale items. I have a weakness for fat quarters, and recently they had them for $1.00 each, and I bought 30! I guess it's all in what you want and need. I frequent 3 different Joann's, depending on what part of the city I am in. I do like LQS's also, but those are few and far between. My favorite one happens to be over 1800 miles away, so I only get there about once a year!
Old 09-14-2022, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by sahansen44 View Post
Visited Joanns in Madison, WI. It is so sad. Most shelves very empty; fabric areas a mess. They cannot get help. Boxes sitting unopened everywhere. Also had the buy 3 get 2 free but there is not enough thread to have options. Also zippers were almost nonexistent.

Agree that you need to watch out for qualiity in their fabrics.
If you need zippers, I recommend Amazon! I made a lot of bags so I use a lot, I get YKK zippers bulk for excellent prices.

I haven't been in Joann's in years, the quality is just awful, and the two quilt shops that are in reasonable driving distance in my part of the world just went to retiree hours so I'm exclusively shopping for fabric online now. My favorites are CaliQuiltCo, MerMer and there are several other good fabric sellers with excellent service and selections.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:41 AM

i had that problem several years ago. after multiple requests for help, waiting over a half hour for someone to cut fabric, i cut my own, brought the cut piece and the bolt to the regiser. then the front end folks went nuts! i wasn't supposed to do that! they were very busy at the time - no excuse for ignoring me if fabric dept - and finally decided to check me out at the register. Then the clerk asked why I wasn't taking the bolt. I told her I didn't buy the bolt, just the 2 yard piece she checked out.

This is always a problem at walmart, so I don't fabric shop there nearly as much as i used to.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:39 PM

I have noticed that some of the newer fabrics in the quilt shops are thinned also and ravel more. I know the price of cotton is way up. Glad I have a stash, if I did not, I would shop yard sales looking for fabric.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:48 PM

Our super Walmart isn't very super any more! They have almost no fabric, yarn or craft items, and what they do have is so ugly and very expensive. They used to have such nice fabric and yarn selections, but no longer. Too bad as they were the only source of crafts and yarn in our small town. There is a LQS but they have very limited fabric lines, odd hours and are really pricey. As much as I want to patronize my local businesses, they are making it harder to do so all the time.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:07 PM

I still buy thread from JoAnn's, but I wait for the sale. I don't worry about the color of the thread as I buy mostly neutral gray or beige. Saves a lot of time and those two colors blend with almost all other colors, except black of course.

I think the fabric has become thinner regardless of whether of I buying from JoAnn's or my LQS. For those of you who have older stashes, it might be interesting to wash 1 yard of new fabric and 1 yard of old fabric and compare the weight and fraying. Might be interesting data collection and give us a basis for whether it actually is thinner.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:52 AM

Yes I am finding this also. Also purchased my stash when I was working full time. Guess I was looking into the future …I now have no need to purchase some stash…mostly just background and solids.

I appreciate everyone suggestions to my first post.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by lindawmn View Post
I live near a "SuperJoanns" and they are now carrying Liberty of London fabric. I also notice they carry some nicer quilting fabrics. When I go down to the regular Joann's, you're right - slimmer pickings
They have those Liberty's at my local Joanns, too, and I'm suspicious it's a Wallmart Levis situation. They feel rougher than they should; maybe it's some spray treatment, but it sets off my dubious quality alarms.