Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality and price of fabrics >

Quality and price of fabrics

Quality and price of fabrics

Old 09-13-2022, 03:37 PM

Default Quality and price of fabrics

W O W…..

We stopped by JoAnns this morning…I wanted to pick up some machine needles….they were having a “SALE” … buy 3 and get 2 FREE. Only problem. They are 8.79 each and I really do not need 5 packages. Yikkies. So I passed

Then checked fabric department - I was getting low on “white on white” fabric Yikkies I am thankful for my stash. Poor quality (see through “ish”) and 9.99 yard ..had 40% off coupons But also passed Will go the quilt shop soon.

Walked out empty handed and went for lunch. Sad to be reporting this. Also Christmas decorations on shelf.

judy in Phx, AZ

Old 09-13-2022, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
W O W…..

We stopped by JoAnns this morning…I wanted to pick up some machine needles….they were having a “SALE” … buy 3 and get 2 FREE. Only problem. They are 8.79 each and I really do not need 5 packages. Yikkies. So I passed

Then checked fabric department - I was getting low on “white on white” fabric Yikkies I am thankful for my stash. Poor quality (see through “ish”) and 9.99 yard ..had 40% off coupons But also passed Will go the quilt shop soon.

Walked out empty handed and went for lunch. Sad to be reporting this. Also Christmas decorations on shelf.

judy in Phx, AZ
I live near a "SuperJoanns" and they are now carrying Liberty of London fabric. I also notice they carry some nicer quilting fabrics. When I go down to the regular Joann's, you're right - slimmer pickings
Old 09-14-2022, 03:33 AM

I did a similar thing, I wanted a new Seam Fix seam ripper. They are 10 something each. I just didn't need to spend 30 dollars on 5 seam rippers. Not a sale in my book.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:41 AM

You really have to watch the fabric at JoAnns. What looks nice from a distance is usually very thin when you get up close. I refuse to buy those!! However if I have a coupon, I'll look at the nicer fabrics. Usually just buy seam rippers, Best Press, buttons or something else. I need to shop from my stash more often than buying new, unless it comes from an ol-line shop that I know has good quality fabric.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:47 AM

Visited Joanns in Madison, WI. It is so sad. Most shelves very empty; fabric areas a mess. They cannot get help. Boxes sitting unopened everywhere. Also had the buy 3 get 2 free but there is not enough thread to have options. Also zippers were almost nonexistent.

Agree that you need to watch out for qualiity in their fabrics.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:04 AM

I would have to drive over 100 miles to get fabric from JoAnn's and I have never found fabric any better than our local Super Walmart. I can take my power chair to our Walmart. I go around the back way so I don't have to face oncoming traffic. Much safe and does not take any extra time.

Old 09-14-2022, 05:21 AM

Joanns sales and coupons are a real turn off for me. Their prices are higher to begin with so not really any big deals. I finally realized this when they stopped carrying Warm and Natural a few years ago, attempting to force people to buy their store brand batting. What I found was that I could get W&N for the same price I'd been getting it at with my "good" coupons at Joanns - and it would be delivered to my doorstep. Of course, they found that people weren't buying their batting and have started carrying the Warm and Natural again. Many of their fabrics have a heavy finish on them, making them feel more substantial than they are.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:08 AM

I stopped buying from JoAnne's years ago as I noticed most of their fabrics were getting a bit thin, see thru and frayed easily. Luckily I don't have a JoAnne's near me to tempt me anyway. Have a large stash I need to go thru anyway. Been passing fabrics stores since late 2018.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:34 AM

I used to use my coupons to get needles, pins, and blades for my cutter. Oh, and also cotton yarn for knitting dish clothes when on sale.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

I have a Super joanns nearby but haven't been in the store in a few years. The last few times I did go I didn't buy anything. The prices were ridiculous then so I imagine higher now.