Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quality solid fabric

quality solid fabric

I bought some Moda prints for a quilt and I need a considerable amount of white, as well. Should I buy Moda white or could I get something cheaper at Joanns that is of the same quality? they have Kona and "Premium Legacy Solids". Will those be just as good as the Moda? (I want this to be a quilt to last a lifetime, so I don't want to get something substandard, but if they are of the same quality as the Moda, I have coupons and could save a bit of money). Thanks for your help

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I have bought Kona solids at Joannes and have not had a problem. I'm not sure if they are the same quality as what is in the LQS but I find I like them.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

This is just me but I would NOT buy a different solid at JoAnnes. My first choice would be Moda Bella Solids in white. You can usually find it relatively inexpensive on line if you hunt around a bit. Next choice would be KAUFMAN (name brand) Kona cotten. The Kona they sell at JoAnnes isn't always Kaufman.

Hancocks of Paducah and fabric depot both have the moda solid white for $6.00 per yard.

Blog Entries
    The Premium Legacy fabrics (solids & prints) at Joann's are really nice. I would compare them to LQS quality. They are of a nice weight and have a wonderful feel to them. I wouldn't hesitate to use them with LQS fabrics; in fact I have!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I've bought Kona at Joann's and Kona at Hancocks of Paducah and can't tell the difference. However, I agree that you never know 100% if it's real RK Kona. I also like Bella solids. Solids online are not that much different in price than Joann's. You just have to wait on them and usually pay shipping.

Keep in mind that many times stores have items made to their specifications - Samsonite makes luggage for mamny different stores but not to the Samsonite specifications. Same with fabric - the quality of the greige goods may not be the same at Joann's, Walmart, etc as it is for a quilt shop.

Just a note if a fabric says "Kona" it is Kaufman.. Kona is a registered trademark of Robert Kaufman. No other manufacture can legally use its name. I buy Kona from Joann's frequently. I also have bought the Legacy premium wide back muslin... very nice muslin.

I just bought 6 yards of Wendover white cotton fabric at my local Hancocks Fabrics. I like it better than the Kona - it just feels "solid" to me, even after washing.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Just a note if a fabric says "Kona" it is Kaufman.. Kona is a registered trademark of Robert Kaufman. No other manufacture can legally use its name. I buy Kona from Joann's frequently. I also have bought the Legacy premium wide back muslin... very nice muslin.
    Yes that is the way it SUPPOSED to be. But Kona does not have selvedge markings. I have personally seen employees at JoAnnes put non Kona fabric on a cardboard bolt with the Kona tag. They aren't doing it to be deceitful, it is just that most JoAnne employees I have come across are not sewers, let alone quilters and don't know one fabric from another. To them it is just a solid color that looks the same. I have also picked up bolts of fabric at JoAnne that were marked Kona and could tell in a second it was not Kona cotten by Kaufman.

I like the kona from joann's. I have only ever used white but mixed it with LQS fabrics and had no problem. When you have a 40% or 50% coupon it's hard to pass up.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Yes that is the way it SUPPOSED to be. But Kona does not have selvedge markings. I have personally seen employees at JoAnnes put non Kona fabric on a cardboard bolt with the Kona tag. They aren't doing it to be deceitful, it is just that most JoAnne employees I have come across are not sewers, let alone quilters and don't know one fabric from another. To them it is just a solid color that looks the same. I have also picked up bolts of fabric at JoAnne that were marked Kona and could tell in a second it was not Kona cotten by Kaufman.
    That's what worries me too. I know that someone from Kaufmann posted (here?) that they don't make different grades of Kona and the stuff at Joann's is the real deal but I wonder too, if someone might have put some on the wrong bolt.

Blog Entries
    FabricDepot.com/6 yards kona snow cotton for $36.00
    Boom 12 - Short & Sweet

I buy Joann"s Kaufman Kona solids by the bolt, and have never had a problem.

Please check out this previous thread about this subject on this board:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...cs-t33854.html

Kaufman, themselves, responded in reply #32.

This was enough for me, to believe there is no difference between Joann's and the LQS Kona solids.

Thanks.

You can get Moda White at Whittles Fabrics http://www.whittlesfabrics.com/ for 4.50 a yard and $5 shipping. Great service.

I would suggest you look at and feel the Legacy and Kona fabric to see if there's a difference and it's what you want. Me, I like a heavy cotton which almost feels like flannel. If order on line, it's got to be a brand I have in the past been pleased with- Kona Cotton and Moda both fit that. If it's not a brand line or one which has been hit or miss for me, it has to pass the feel touch weight test in a store.

I will say I purchased some Legacy a while back for a quilt for my then young son. It didn't make through the first year, but he used that blanket a lot. It was loved to pieces.

The last white I bought from a quilt store, it is the wide width, with a pattern on it. I was tempted before I used it to wash because it was stiff, but decided to let the stiffness of it help me when cutting. I am going by the girl who sold it to me, that it was nice in a backing and would soften upon washing. So far it is great for sewing. I think you do not necessarily go with a major brand but with the feel of it. Will see.

I have also purchased solids and have not had a problems with those from Joanns.

If you have a Hobby Lobby in your area, they also sell the Kona cotton fabric and it is usually on sale for 25-35% off. It usually costs me around $6 a yard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    My first choice would be Moda Bella Solids in white.
    I second this. I actually prefer Moda Bella over Kona, I find it to be a bit softer, with a nicer drape and hand. You should be able to find it in the $6-$8 range.

You Get What You Pay For

In my experience there is a definite difference between cotton solids from Joann's Fabrics (Kona or not) and Moda or Kauffman Kona solids.
    The cotton fabric from Joann's has a looser weave, is much more apt to bleed, and has a considerable amount of "coating" or sizing on it - very stiff even after washing.
    The slightly higher price for quality cotton solids is worth it to me, especially when hand piecing.

You can purchase Moda Bella at ThousandsOfBolts.com for $4.95/yard. Another place I purchase solids is ConnectingThreads.Com $4.96/yard and free shipping if your order is over $50.00. I also use a lot of Kona. I think they are all comparable quality.
    Pat

I'm partial to Kona. It has a nice body to it. I bought some black at Joann's and used it in a quilt for my college bound granddaughter. The quilt gets heavy use and washing and it's held up for 2 years so far. I offred her a new quilt and she said no she's going to use the original one for all 4 years since it was a graduation gift.

As you said, it's a last a lifetime quilt - go with Moda Bella. Hancocks Paducah sells it cheaper the more you buy - thousandsofbolts has it at $4.50 a yard. How much better can it get? Love, love bella - it is my go to fabric for solids.
    Judi in Ohio

Feedback Score

We hope you don’t find this to be an intrusion on your privacy, but we saw this discussion, and thought we could help clear up some confusion on several issues pertaining to our KonaŽ Cotton Solids brand.

What is presented here is an official response from Robert Kaufman Co., Inc., to be posted and hopefully correct the inaccuracies brought to our attention, as well as answer some of the questions you might have had.

To begin with, KonaŽ Cotton is a brand that has been around for almost three decades. In that time, the brand has become synonymous with quality in the fabric and textile world.

KonaŽ Cotton Construction
    KonaŽ Cotton is based on a standard cotton sheeting construction of 20 x 20 (20 singles) yarns and 60 x 60 thread count. However, this standard construction doesn’t provide the weight or bulk that KonaŽ is known for. To achieve this, we add extra yarn for a custom construction, which creates a higher thread count and adds to the overall bulk of the finished product. Our KonaŽ Cotton will therefore weigh more than standard cotton sheeting.

Certification
    All KonaŽ cotton is dyed using reactive dyes and is processed and tested according to Oeko-TexŽ Standard 100, satisfying the requirements of its product class. Click here to learn more about this testing http://www.oeko-tex.com/OekoTex100_P...dex.asp?cls=02

Country of Origin
    Country of origin does not reflect upon quality whatsoever. We seek the highest quality for our KonaŽ Cotton brand, using only FIRST QUALITY goods, regardless of country. All of the countries we deal with are capable of producing the highest quality that we demand for our KonaŽ Cotton brand.

Not to be confused with Kona Cotton, Kona Premium Muslin is a high thread count muslin exclusively produced in Pakistan. Kona Cotton Solids, on the other hand, have never been produced in Pakistan, and are currently being woven and dyed in Indonesia and Thailand at mills that are capable of achieving the Oeko-Tex Standard 100. While we have discontinued production in China and Korea, some bolts may still bare those Countries of Origin on the label.

Greige Goods and the Production Process
    “Greige” (pronounced “grey”) or “Greige goods” are simply terms to refer to fabric in the raw state, before bleaching, dyeing or finishing processes.

First quality goods can have variations in look and weaving pattern due to the different types of weaving machines that are used in weaving the greige goods. This difference in weave look in no way suggests a lesser quality, but only a difference in weaving style.

The first step in the dyeing process is called lab dipping. Lab dipping entails dipping a small swatch of fabric in dye to match a specific color standard. Sometimes many dips are necessary before a color is approved. Once approved, a bulk dye formulation is made. Bulk dyeing is done in lots. Lot sizes can be 2000 yards or more. This lab dipping process uses “prepared for dye” greige of the same quality that will ultimately be used for bulk production.

Robert Kaufman uses the same quality greige and dyes for all customers purchasing Kona Cotton Solids - all customers receive the same product. We have never produced a lesser grade of Kona for any customer. All seconds are rejected prior to leaving the mill.

Here are some examples of defects that would result in rejected goods:
    Excessive slubs, knots, zippers, mis-weaves, contamination, holes, and color shading.

Millions of yards of Kona Cotton are produced and shipped throughout the U.S. and internationally. We are always striving to maintain the highest level of quality and provide the best product. We therefore ask you to bring to our attention any Kona Cotton that you feel does not live up to your expectations. Please send in a 3” square swatch of the quality you feel does not meet KonaŽ standards. We will provide you with a detailed analysis report – the results of our testing process.

Please send your swatch to:
    Robert Kaufman Co., Inc.
    Attn: Quality Control (re: Kona test)
    129 W. 132nd St.
    Los Angeles, CA 90061

Robert Kaufman Certification Badge

I bought my last order of Kona warm white through Fabric Depot -- ended up paying less than $6 a yard with a discount coupon about 3 months ago. Worked out well as DH picked up the order when he was in the area, so I saved the shipping cost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast