Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quarter inch seams >

Quarter inch seams

Quarter inch seams

Old 04-08-2013, 04:37 PM

It doesn't matter what your seam allowance is - the size of your block is what matters. Take three strips of fabric measuring 2 1/2 inches each - length doesn't matter - this is a sample. Sew them together - measure the middle strip, it should measure 2 inches. Adjust your seam as needed.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 PM

If all your seams measure the same you will have no trouble with putting your blocks together. The worst thing you could do would be to piece a quilt on two different machines.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
On my Bernina 1230, I move my needle one notch to the right to get my scant 1/4" seam. I have never been able to get accurate seams using a foot. I measure my 1/4" from the needle, then place a physical barrier so I can butt my pieces against it when sewing. I can sew much faster with this barrier. Have cut up and used moleskin in the past, but now I use a Dritz adhesive seam refill because it is higher. (Do not trust their red "seam gauge" that goes with these refills for setting your 1/4" seam. I measured it, and it is set for a full 1/4". If you use it, your seams are almost guaranteed to be a little too big.) I would have posted a picture, but no one on Amazon seems to sell it right now. Got my last batch at JoAnn's for under $3.
I'd love to try this, but how can anyone with a top-loading bobbin case in the way accomplish this? I am using a Brother CS6000i and have figured out where my scant 1/4" setting are, but seriously need a guide. I tried the address label trick *like 4 stacked high* but fabric still floated right across it way too easily. Not only that, but the placement of them was too far away and still a large gap between those labels and the presser foot!!

Any advise appreciated!