Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Perfect Quarter Inch Seams

Perfect Quarter Inch Seams

Hi friends,

Julie Cefalu of The Crafty Quilter has a Youtube video on how to get perfect quarter inch seams.
    She uses these 2 inexpensive tools to achieve it.
    I got them on AmazonName:  perfect quarter inch seams 2.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  99.8 KB

Hope this helps someone else too!

Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bipCnq-Je4U&t=198s
    Last edited by SusieQOH; 11-16-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Love, the sewing edge by Marci Baker.

Hmmm . . . I might try the sewing edge. I have a repositionable seam guide but the sticky stuff on the back is getting to where it doesn't stick very well. I tried double sided tape but that didn't work well either. It might be time to try this. I did pick up a magnetic seam guide that I can use on the vintage machines but I haven't used it yet.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Power Poster
    Good starting point but as Bonnie Hunter says, it is sewn unit size that matters rather then the perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Good starting point but as Bonnie Hunter says, it is sewn unit size that matters rather then the perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance.
    I think 1/4" seams are important for points not being cut off when sewing blocks together. I can have a perfect size unit but the point may be in the seam allowance.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Thank you for posting this. I have ordered these helpful tools and saved the instructional video. Now onto some more quilts!

You're welcome, Learning2Quilt- I found it helpful because my seams never seem to be quite right plus I use different machines. This way they will all be the same.

The video doesn't show her using the yellow piecing guide ruler. How does she use that?

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    The video doesn't show her using the yellow piecing guide ruler. How does she use that?
    Yes it does. There’s a hole in the ruler for your needle to go through. Then lower your presser foot to keep the ruler stable. It’s a scant 1/4 in from the needle to the edge of the ruler. Butt a piece of sewing edge up against the ruler. Then you have a guide for the fabric and you should get a scant 1/4 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I think 1/4" seams are important for points not being cut off when sewing blocks together. I can have a perfect size unit but the point may be in the seam allowance.
    I agree. If you’re piecing one unit to alternate with a single unpeiced unit and your seams aren’t a 1/4” in the pieced unit , then the unit isn’t going to fit with the single piece of fabric.

Not having a good 1/4 inch seam when sewing hsts is usually the reason that points get cut off.

Thanks for the video, SusieQOH.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    Hmmm . . . I might try the sewing edge. I have a repositionable seam guide but the sticky stuff on the back is getting to where it doesn't stick very well. I tried double sided tape but that didn't work well either. It might be time to try this. I did pick up a magnetic seam guide that I can use on the vintage machines but I haven't used it yet.
    I was told by my sewing machine dealer to never put anything magnetic on a computerized machine .
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

Quote Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
    I was told by my sewing machine dealer to never put anything magnetic on a computerized machine .
    The magnetic seam guide isn't strong enough to get passed the magnetic shield on any computer machines except the very old ones which may not have been shielded. Bernina, Janome, and Brother techs all told me the same. No problem with magnetic seam guides or magnetic pin holders around the machine.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.