Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: question about 10 min. block, please.

I was wondering if i could make this block in different sizes. I would like to make one in maybe 6 or 9 inch blocks,do you all think it would work???
    I could not find it mentioned on any tutorial. TIA.:)

Quote Originally Posted by cinnya
    I was wondering if i could make this block in different sizes. I would like to make one in maybe 6 or 9 inch blocks,do you all think it would work???
    I could not find it mentioned on any tutorial. TIA.:)
    I think it would, as long as each block was the same size.

I did one as a lil Chrismas ornament, with 2" blocks. The center piece was teeny-tiny though.

Use pins. A must to get it all to come out straight and lay right.

Thank you , I was hoping it would work and not get too busy looking. I just prefer smaller blocks.

I think you can use any size. I haven't done any yet (want to, though!). I'm sure I read on here that someone used a larger block for the one that will be the center block because she wanted it bigger, and it worked out well too. So I'm thinking that as long as the corner blocks are all the same and the center doesn't exceed the length of what will be the finished block, you could do it any size you choose. But again, I haven't played with it yet, so I'm not certain. :)

Thank you ,I am digging in my stash as I type lol...

I used my 6" blocks, I had a pile of them given to me long ago and didn't know what to do with them. The main block is just smaller and in total is about 11 inches. BUt you do have to pin pin pin! I first match up the seem in the middle and go from thee. It's not hard at all. So far I have 14 blocks completed. I'd have more if you all would stop writing!!! Ha! If I can I'll post a few.

4 of my 13, just a few to show as not sewn together. I'm going to make many in order to chose the quilt tops.
    Name:  Attachment-138553.jpe
Views: 45
Size:  93.2 KB

LOl, I know I need to get of the computer ,if this quilt top is going to get done by tomorrow night. ok it seems as long as I pin ( Arghhhh...I don't like to pin:) )), it will be alright.
    Thank you all so much for the help.

Ok I've never seen this block but it looks very interesting. Is their a tute or directions for this block. Is the name 10 min block? I must be in a cave not to of heard of this, whats up with that, guess I need to read more post and less sewing LOL LuAnn

Can some one please tell me where to get this pattern? I have looked around, but must be missing it. Thanks

Hey, Christina... I too would love to see this block... I haven't seen it before... where do I find it, please?

Thanks Donna, I was trying to find the link when I heard you pop in. I have AOL. But I loved the tutoral, easy to follow even though I did watch it about 5 times!

Thank you SOOOO MUCH... it sure is nice to have this site for all kinds of HELP!!! It's always needed and so appreciated!

Thanks for the link! I have been making that block for years But I didn't sew the curves in the center square. The block I made was called dementional bow tie block made with 2 fabrics. I made my top with WOW and xmas fabrics maybe this will be the year it gets it's borders put on and quilted. LOL Probably not to many other things to finish. LuAnn

Quote Originally Posted by dede
    Thank you SOOOO MUCH... it sure is nice to have this site for all kinds of HELP!!! It's always needed and so appreciated!

Welcome to the Board!

I use any size that works for the quilt size I want to do. I also sometimes make the center patch bigger than the rest, treat it like a cathedrel window and put fussy cut in the middle.

When I sew it together, I start in the center and then sew to the edge. Flip it over, start in the center again and sew to the edge. Saves on pinning. Takes less than 10 minutes too! LOL

Thank you for the link.....Can't wait to try this...like RIGHT now!! Will post a pic later.

I am just doing it with a charm pack(5" squares) bit fiddly but works out fine!! Doing it in between other projects so just do a few at a time!! Will have a quilt top eventually!!

Quote Originally Posted by Momma_K
    I used my 6" blocks, I had a pile of them given to me long ago and didn't know what to do with them. The main block is just smaller and in total is about 11 inches. BUt you do have to pin pin pin! I first match up the seem in the middle and go from thee. It's not hard at all. So far I have 14 blocks completed. I'd have more if you all would stop writing!!! Ha! If I can I'll post a few.
    I just logged back in,wow I didn't see your blocks earlier. so pretty. I am making this one for a friend for Christmas. She loves brights, so I am making this one with all black centers and brights.

Yes you can I used the 5in block also, it is the same as the 3D Bow Tie Block. I also used 3.5, 4, 8 and 10 inch blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnya
    Quote Originally Posted by Momma_K
    I just logged back in,wow I didn't see your blocks earlier. so pretty. I am making this one for a friend for Christmas. She loves brights, so I am making this one with all black centers and brights.
    Christina, thank you for the sweet compliment! Those were actually trial blocks. I may use that as a top for myself but I have loads in floral and my do those for Christmas gifts for my daughters. It's about the easiest block you can do and get such a nice result. After I get a lot of blocks completed I'm going to arrange the coloring and make a few tops. Good luck in yours!!

Blog Entries
    5 blocks - all the same size - any size will make up nicely.

The first couple that I made, I had to pin because I sewed them wrong but soon got the sense of them.

Now I am going to make some Christmas blocks!

Kathy A G,

Thanks for the photos. The blocks are great.

Thank You Quilter68, I sure appreciate that!

Blog Entries
    I used my 5 inch charms but would recommend 8 to 10 inch squares. just easier.

10 minute blks and more with 5 inch charms
    Name:  Attachment-138796.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  54.0 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast