Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about applique >

question about applique

question about applique

Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
It depends on the look I want. I do enjoy needle turn.

a hint? get some of those little applique pins. I'm cheap so I kept using my regular pins. My thread would get tangled. I got some of the little pins and have been kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
You're right about the applique pins, they're very handy!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Becca
Is needle-turn the preferred method for applique? I don't care for machine applique.
I can't do needleturn because my hands cramp up with hand stitching. I do invisible machine quilting a la Harriet Hargrave instead. Have you ever seen this? Unless you know what to look for, it can be mistaken for hand applique. It has the turned-under edges that hand applique has, but the turning is done with freezer paper and glue rather than with a needle.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:45 PM

The only preference is what you like. I like needle turn because I really like the hand sewing. Some patterns are easier done by machine than hand but you will learn with practice.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:52 PM

I have done them all. It really depends on the final look you want, and what suits the pattern best. The trick I learned on needle turn is to turn under for the next two stitches, then only take one stitch. Don't look too far ahead.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:55 PM

I don't machine applique at all. I much prefer needle turn. I am going to try Penny Haren's method of pieced applique and see how I like it.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:03 PM

I too love needle turn, I find it relaxing to do in the evening while watching TV. I pin my pieces in place with the applique pins, on the back. I have been using silk thread lately, it just sinks in and disappears in the fold of the fabric.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:14 PM

I prefer applique by hand. I usually turn the raw edge under and baste then pin it to the block and baste it down. Now I'm ready to applique it down with tiny "blind" stitches. Some use silk thread for this process as it is supposed to almost disappear into the fabric. I haven't tried it but have satisfactory results with all purpose thread.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions! What is Penny Haren's method?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:44 PM

I took a class once and she taught a method using spray sizing and no-melt template plastic. The method is in the template directions. You paint some sizing onto the seam allowance, fold it over the template and iron. Gives the impression of needle-turn, I think anyways.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:26 PM

I am doing a big hand applique project right now. I am using Stable Magic to make my applique pieces ready to applique. I like to have the edges entirely turned under before I start to sew.

It is similar to the freezer paper technique except you use water soluble glue stick to adhere the Stable Magic to the fabric. A Purple Thang is useful for this . Then I use the glue stick to glue the applique piece to the background. I find this even better than the little applique pins that I used to use.

The beauty of this method is that when you are done, the Stable Magic is water soluble so it disappears when you wash your quilt. No picking out freezer paper or cutting your background fabric.

I also like the fact that I can make my templates while watching TV.. no iron and it's easier on my fingers.