Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: question about applique

Is needle-turn the preferred method for applique? I don't care for machine applique.

Blog Entries
    It's definitely mine - I enjoy handsewing.

Blog Entries
    It is mine also. I love to do needle turn.

Any sugestions on doing needle-turn or will it come easier with practice?

Hand-applique for me!! I don't know if it becomes easier, because its actually a very easy technique. I just think you become more at ease and start to enjoy more.

Just relax and enjoy!!! :D :D No worries!!!

Just relax asnd enjoy the process. The more you do it, the easier I find it becomes.

I don't have the patience for needle-turn. I did it a few times and I just like the look of satin-stitched applique better. I think I select patterns that fit the machine method better. I am sure if I was planning on making an antique-looking quilt or a show quilt, I would go with hand-applique, but since most of my quilts are quilts kids use, I like making sure that my applique is VERY secure.

I've never done needle turn. I use freezer paper and use my iron to press so the seam allowance is stuck to the freezer paper.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingladydi
    I've never done needle turn. I use freezer paper and use my iron to press so the seam allowance is stuck to the freezer paper.
    If I do try it, I think this is how I would do it too.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    It depends on the look I want. I do enjoy needle turn.

a hint? get some of those little applique pins. I'm cheap so I kept using my regular pins. My thread would get tangled. I got some of the little pins and have been kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    It depends on the look I want. I do enjoy needle turn.

a hint? get some of those little applique pins. I'm cheap so I kept using my regular pins. My thread would get tangled. I got some of the little pins and have been kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
    You're right about the applique pins, they're very handy!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca
    Is needle-turn the preferred method for applique? I don't care for machine applique.
    I can't do needleturn because my hands cramp up with hand stitching. I do invisible machine quilting a la Harriet Hargrave instead. Have you ever seen this? Unless you know what to look for, it can be mistaken for hand applique. It has the turned-under edges that hand applique has, but the turning is done with freezer paper and glue rather than with a needle.

The only preference is what you like. I like needle turn because I really like the hand sewing. Some patterns are easier done by machine than hand but you will learn with practice.

I have done them all. It really depends on the final look you want, and what suits the pattern best. The trick I learned on needle turn is to turn under for the next two stitches, then only take one stitch. Don't look too far ahead.

Blog Entries
    I don't machine applique at all. I much prefer needle turn. I am going to try Penny Haren's method of pieced applique and see how I like it.

I too love needle turn, I find it relaxing to do in the evening while watching TV. I pin my pieces in place with the applique pins, on the back. I have been using silk thread lately, it just sinks in and disappears in the fold of the fabric.

I prefer applique by hand. I usually turn the raw edge under and baste then pin it to the block and baste it down. Now I'm ready to applique it down with tiny "blind" stitches. Some use silk thread for this process as it is supposed to almost disappear into the fabric. I haven't tried it but have satisfactory results with all purpose thread.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! What is Penny Haren's method?

I took a class once and she taught a method using spray sizing and no-melt template plastic. The method is in the template directions. You paint some sizing onto the seam allowance, fold it over the template and iron. Gives the impression of needle-turn, I think anyways.

I am doing a big hand applique project right now. I am using Stable Magic to make my applique pieces ready to applique. I like to have the edges entirely turned under before I start to sew.

It is similar to the freezer paper technique except you use water soluble glue stick to adhere the Stable Magic to the fabric. A Purple Thang is useful for this . Then I use the glue stick to glue the applique piece to the background. I find this even better than the little applique pins that I used to use.

The beauty of this method is that when you are done, the Stable Magic is water soluble so it disappears when you wash your quilt. No picking out freezer paper or cutting your background fabric.

I also like the fact that I can make my templates while watching TV.. no iron and it's easier on my fingers.

Blog Entries
    I love doing needle-turn applique' as I have a Hawaiian quilt project going most of the time. I'm on my 4th wall hanging size and am practicing for the day I graduate to a bed-size!

When I began to applique I bought the book APPLIQUE 12 EASY WAYS BY Ellie Sienkiewicz. She teaches all the different ways to applique. She also includes many projects and patterns and suggests the best method to use for each. You can try any or all of them and decide which you like best. I find that I use different methods for the different pieces in each project. Have fun experimenting.