Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about batting - flannel >

Question about batting - flannel

Question about batting - flannel

Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 AM

Default Question about batting - flannel

I'm working on a quilt for my soon to be born grandbaby. I am using flannel as batting and backing. My problem is that I had to change the design of the quilt top to allow for a very crooked cut on a panel. I added two borders and wound up with a quilt top that is about 6" larger than the flannel that I bought for the batting. I have a piece of the same flannel from another project and can add it to the piece that I was to use for the batting. Will this make the quilt lumpy along that seam? Is there anything else that I should know before doing this? Or do I just need to make the 45 min to 1 hr drive each way and just buy another piece of flannel?

Thanks for all your help!!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 AM

If you really look, you'll notice a little bump, but the baby won't notice and I personally wouldn't make the long trip. If you want to make it symetrical on the back - cut down the center of the back and put the extra material as a strip down the middle - and you could even use a different color if you have that.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:46 AM

Congratulations! When is the baby going to be here? If the precious bundle is going to be here next spring and the flannel backing is think, you might want to think about quilting it without the batting.

Otherwise, you will notice a slight bump when adding adding another strip of batting to the previous. However, that sweet little one won't care. All that matters is that the quilt came from you.

The love you wrap them in means more than any imperfection.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

If you sew the flannel pieces together and then press the seams open that will lessen the bump.
Or you could go to a bit more effort and piece the flannel as I do cotton batting......with a serpentine or zigzag stitch over edges butted up to each other but not overlapping.

Jan in VA
Old 07-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

I would butt the edges of the flannel you will use for the batting and zigzag them together. You could use a strip of light weight fusible first, then zigzag for a bit of extra reinforcement.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

I agree with butting it.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 PM

I've used flannel for batting many times and always pieced it with a half inch seam and then pressed the seam open. After quilting and washing, it's very difficult to tell where the seam is. I also make sure to not have the seam in the batting overlay the seam in the backing (which I also sew with a half inch seam and press open).
Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 PM

I often use flannel as wadding and need to join it. I always just join with a half inch seam and press open. I have not had a problem doing it this way.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

Slightly overlap the two pieces and sew together using a very wide zig zag.