Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about Borders

Question Question about Borders

I usually do one border at a time, but, am planning on two or three on my current work in progress. Looking for opinions on whether or not to sew the border fabrics together first and then put them on the quilt?
    Alyce

Power Poster
    If it is multiple borders, I find it best to sew the borders together and then attach the border unit to the quilt. Sewing consecutive borders on one at a time tend to cause wavy edges.

I like the look of multiple borders sewed together and mitered at the corners.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Blog Entries
    I agree with Pat
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I think unless you are mitering the borders you would want to put on one border at a time. Think of each border as a frame that is unbroken around the inner quilt. If multiple borders are sewn together and then added you don't get the same framed look. Unless of course that is the look you want. It is your quilt...your rules.

Blog Entries
    It will work great to sew the borders into one unit and add them as one piece. It just means mitering the corners if you want them to look framed around the top.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by jrfair99 View Post
    I think unless you are mitering the borders you would want to put on one border at a time. Think of each border as a frame that is unbroken around the inner quilt. If multiple borders are sewn together and then added you don't get the same framed look. Unless of course that is the look you want. It is your quilt...your rules.
    Agree completely. To get a framed effect without mitered corners, you need to put the borders on one at a time.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Blog Entries
    it is easiest (depending on how narrow/wide the borders are to sew them together then add them- if they are fairly wide you might want to add them one at a time- I've done a few that had a narrow, wide, narrow, wide border- all together then added- helps keep those narrow ones straight.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I agree with what the others have mentions, you WILL get less waves. But if you haven't done a miter border. you might want to do some research on it. I consider myself above average as a quilter and it seems that no matter HOW careful I am in measuring and rechecking, I always end up with one problem corner. I might suggest that you baste you borders first using a longer stitch on your machine. Press it and check that your corner is exactly 90 degrees. If all seems OK, then go ahead and do your final stitching. I do this when the quilt has been basted. Little difficult but there is NOTHING worse than pin basting your quilt and the miter corner is OFF !! Good Luck !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by jrfair99 View Post
    What she said! I tried this once. Once you sew 3 borders together, they have to be mitered.
    Carol in Michigan