Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Fat Quarter Baskets for Quilt Show.... >

Question about Fat Quarter Baskets for Quilt Show....

Question about Fat Quarter Baskets for Quilt Show....

Old 05-03-2016, 07:31 AM

Default Question about Fat Quarter Baskets for Quilt Show....

I am in charge of making baskets of fat quarters for raffles at our next Quilt Show. I have been collecting donations of fat quarters at meetings. I put about 75 fat quarters in a basket usually, and for our last two quilt shows I ended up with 3 baskets of fat quarters to raffle off.

I tell my fellow quilters that I will cut their fabric to fat quarter size if they want to donate larger pieces. However, this time I have received quite a few 1/2 yard and 1 yard fabric pieces. I am finding it hard for me to cut these down to fat quarter size. So many patterns call for WOF that I think a half yard might be more welcome than fat quarters.

My question to you is "Would you find a basket of 1/2 yard pieces or 1 yard pieces something you would buy a raffle ticket for?" I believe I will still have 3 baskets of fat quarters, which is what my guild is used to. (I am calling this a raffle thing, but I last year the fat quarter baskets became part of a Coffee Can Auction and folks bought tickets and could try to win a variety of items being raffled off.)

I have asked my fellow Quilt Show Committee members what they thought, but I am looking for more opinions before I cut fabric up.

Thanks for any input.

Dina
Old 05-03-2016, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I'd take chances on fats or halfs anyday. that's what attracts me to those baskets. the more the merrier for me. I took chances on 3 yard cuts, no one took chances on or very few people took on them. they seemed to want the variety.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't see a problem with mixing 1 yard and half yard pieces in with the FQs. It's all fabric.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:21 AM

Not unless I had a specific use for it. The nice thing about pre-cuts is I get several different fabrics at one time. Whole yard cuts would mean 1/4 the number of different fabrics.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:28 AM

Who does like fabric here, the more pieces the better. Not to small but fat quarters are great!
Old 05-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

That is a tough question to ask me since I am use to getting the scarps from RK.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I prefer at least 1/2 yard cuts - - -

Overall - I find FQ and smaller cuts annoying - perhaps because I am in the wash before cutting camp.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:10 AM

I wouldn't care, I would just like to be able to get a chance of getting fabric lol, I'm in the UK so don't really have a stash as fabric expensive here, I stock up when I come to us but usually use it up between visits
Old 05-03-2016, 10:31 AM

I"m with bear on liking 1/2 yard cuts. I like a bit more fabric than a fat quarter in case I need it.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:58 AM

Can you make baskets with mixed cuts? I would bid on a basket with both half yards and fat quarters.