Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: question about home decor fabric

I use it for the backs of hot pads and it washes well so I don't see why it wouldn't work in a quilt. You will probably want to use a thin batting as this fabric is heavier so the quilt will be heavier. I also use it in making purses--really holds up.

I use it in my Crazy Quilting, but with all the bead work,charms, silk ribbon embroidery and embroidery, they dont get washed.

I made my son a quilt with home decor fabric (with matching drapery. The quilt is VERY heavy. But it has held up well. Too heavy to use in summer even with air conditioning. Not very cuddly and it's stiff.

I try it once! Never again. It was to heavy. I took it appart & reused the fabric. Then made a different quilt for the bed.

Make sure your home dec fabrics are washable and the pattern you are using does n ot have small pieces. They will for the most aprt be a little heavier than your cotton fabrics so you need to take that into consideration when picking out a pattern. You also want to be sure that the fabs are not "coated" with any kind of chems for wet/dry or have a plastic/rubber backing...not ironable! These will really mess up your iron plate!
    If you are going for the brocades or the embroideries, etc. that will be beautiful, just remember that it will be heavier.

I made a quilt out of 100% Scalamandre drapery fabric.
    It was hard to hand quilt. I mean HARD, but it turned out nice and will not shrink or fade (I washed a piece).
    It has a nice feel and is not too heavy or stiff.
    The pattern was simple and the pieces large since the fabric has a very dense weave and large floral motif.
    I would NOT do it again, though. My hands have not recovered...

If you machine quilt then I say go for it!

I too, have used home decor fabrics. I used a sample book, took it apart, soaked it in water to remove the labels from the samples. It worked fine.

I use decorator fabric for placemats & runners. They usually wipe clean - dont need to use batting - the fabric and backing are thick enough.

I have taken the swatches and made beach blankets from them. I cut huge squares, and piece them, then use an old mattress pad for the batting. This makes the blanket very thick and solid. It would be great to sit on for picnic too, or to use as cushioning when moving furniture!!!

front of beach blanket
    Name:  Attachment-280076.jpe
Views: 60
Size:  64.3 KB

back of beach blanket
    Name:  Attachment-280077.jpe
Views: 66
Size:  69.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by fabriclover333
    can it be used to make a quilt?
    I have seen many lovely quilts made from home dec fabric, but you should wash it 2 to 3 times. Home dec shrinks much more than other fabrics, and often isn't color fast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2