Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about how much to charge >

question about how much to charge

question about how much to charge

Old 01-15-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
Don't forget to factor in whether you will quilt it or send it out.
This is a rag quilt it does not require quilting other than the x stitched through the middle of the block.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
My son says that he wants to pay for this in order to give to the person for his birthday so I will not charge labor this time.
It appears the person who wants the quilt is getting it for a gift, if the son is paying for materials and giving the quilt to the individual. It seems to me there would be no mention of the cost to the recipient of a gift. And, IMO, you don't charge a child of your own for the labor. - just my opinion, of course.
Thank you I totally agree.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
I would have them purchase all the materials and I would not work with homespun as it just ravels too much. I then would charge $25 an hour to piece it and then my regular charge to quilt it on my LA. Our skills are worth much more then we are usually comfortable with charging. I wonder why so many quilters think so little of their awesome skills that they basically give it away? :roll: (I'm not talking about charity quilts here, but when we are asked to make a quilt for a paying customer!). If we don't value ourselves, who will??? :?
I have made a smaller rag quilt with homespun before and it turned out wonderful.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:48 PM

Default Most People who truly know about quilts and quilting know the average price

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics View Post
I always tell them they couldn't afford to pay me what I'm worth...that usually ends the conversation....lol.

If you stop and think of how many hours you put into a quilt from start to finish, at $10, $20, or $30 bucks an hours, depending on how much you think you're worth, you would see that it would be lots!

And then of course the cost of all the materials added on to your labor costs.

I only make quilts for gifts to people who I think are worthy of them...another words, only the people I wanna give them to because I think they will appreciate them.
I heard that the 2-3 X the price of materials before for everything altogether. I tell most people it depends on the size and complexity. Plus most people that buy from me I know one way or another through a friend or work etc. If I was to sell to complete strangers I usually think about the cost of the materials and double it for everything altogether. There is a lot of competition in selling quilts online and in person as well. If they truly want to be astonished tell them to try buying one from Amish country and then compare your prices.

I had a friend I knew who asked me to make her quilt queen size. She knows what the amish charge she was there and she quoted me about 200-225 for the quilt of not to complex of a design either. Which is what I normally charge to just about anyone for the quilt. The materials are about 90-100 for the queen not counting thread. So that is about double the price or close to it.

If you are doing something truly unique and artistic that is harder to do then you would charge more because anyone else would and if they dont buy it keep it in your collection until someone else who knows quilts values it like you do.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by chamby View Post
This is a rag quilt it does not require quilting other than the x stitched through the middle of the block.
But a KING sized rag quilt- those X's are going to take a LONG time.

Are you also going to cut notches into all the seams to help fraying? That takes forever on some rag quilts, it will take a very very long time on a king size.

Please don't undervalue yourself. It would be one thing to make a baby throw for a friend and just charge for materials and maybe a few extra dollars, but a king size quilt? I'd expect at least $300-$500 for labor.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:54 AM

When I make a quilt for a paying customer, the first thing I do is have a conversation with the customer about all pertinent facts. First off we determine actual size needed, not in bed size - but width by length. Next we talk about fabrics and what customer wants and what will work - and that includes batting and thread. Then I do the calculations for materials cost and ask for that amount up front before I ever go to the first store. When I determine the amount of labor, I also take into consideration the pattern and how difficult, the amount of quilting, and how quickly the customer needs the quilt. 2-3 times the cost of materials is pretty standard, but a quilt I have to get done very quickly will cost customer more. The same goes for a difficult pattern. The finished quilt never leaves my possession until completely paid for and I never take anything but cash (eliminates all possible problems).