Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about JoAnn's >

Question about JoAnn's

Question about JoAnn's

Old 01-31-2012, 08:50 AM

I can tell you about books, at least paperbooks. Books stores don't actually buy the books at the time when they are delivered. They order, the books are shipped and if they don't sell within a specified amount of time (4,6,8 weeks) the stores have to do the following: either pay to return and get credit or strip the covers, throw out the books and send in the covers to show that they didn't sell. Otherwise, they have to pay to return books that didn't sell. For the store, it's cheaper to toss books and send the covers in.

SandyQuilter
Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

that is like using red spray paint on wedding gowns and cutting them up. so stupid.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I once had a conversation with a Joann's regional manager about this. I asked why they couldn't give things they couldn't sell to charity. He said that would cause jealousy among charities, because one charity would find out that the other had gotten things. Certainly he could have thought of something more believable than that!

Dayle
I was in my local JoAnn's just this week and there was a display of Christmas decorations that someone asked the manager about and he told her "they are not for sale, we give them to Goodwill". So at least the Waterville, ME. store donates.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by CraftyCricket View Post
I was just at JoAnns this morning, I never thought of checking the dumpsters. You would think that the stores would at least just put the items on sale...50 60 heck even 90 percent off to sell it and they would at least get a little bit of their money back. Seems like a big waste to me.
Sadly, they get more money back by sending pattern envelopes, book covers, ends of ribbon spools, etc. back to the manufacturers than they would if they marked the items down and sold them.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:08 PM

i was at Sams Wholesale grocery store the other night and in the meat dept they had roasted chicken , it looked good and i was going to get one for dinner, the store was closing in about 20 minutes and i asked the guy are you going to mark these down sice there were about 10 of them and it was 20 min. till closeing and he said no! what is left he was going to toss in the garbage out back !!! wow that was a big waste of food . years ago i worked at Kohls and about once a month we would sit in the back room and go thru the damaged or left over clothes that were at the end of there selling time , we would cut a slit somewhere (were the manager told us to ) and then the clothes were shipped off to a poor country to be given to the people there , because of the fact if they were given out here in the community some people would try and return them for cash , this way sending to another country they were appreciated
Old 01-31-2012, 01:23 PM

awe i was just telling hubby about this and told him i need to sit out back at joanns and go dumpster diving !!!!! and he informed me that here it is against the law to go inside of a dumpster !! you will go to jail!!! darn and i thought i would have a "nightime hobby " and save money at the same time
Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM

Amazing, and we wonder why we cannot compete in the world economy!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:14 PM

Dumpster diving is NOT legal. If you get caught it is afelony as you are stealing. Doesn't make any difference if it was thrown away or not. check your state laws before doing this. I used to do a lot of couponing years ago when it was worth something to send in for rebates. People would go dumpster diving until the cops caught one and they were in trouble over it. Beside someone may have thrown a use needle or syringe in there and you could get stuck.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:30 PM

It seems so wrong to just throw away good stuff. Even food, you would think could maybe go to a food pantry unless it is outdated. There are so many places that would be grateful for the donations. They could maybe allow each place so much in donations per year so everyone gets something and no one place gets it "all". Our society is very wasteful.
I would think that it is better to donate and get a tax deduction, than to just throw away, maybe get a write off of some sort.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 PM

Anyone who has netflix has to watch Dive! Living off Americas Waste. It is about a few named grocery stores and what they throw away and this group tries to go to the corporate offices trying to get them to donate the food. It is a really good socumentary.