Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Martelli Cutting Mats >

Question about Martelli Cutting Mats

Question about Martelli Cutting Mats

Old 11-17-2018, 10:15 AM

Default Question about Martelli Cutting Mats

I have been thinking about getting a Martelli cutting mat to replace my warped Olfa mat. However, I don't like some of the things I have read about their rotary cutters, so I want to use another cutter on their mat. I love that their mats are supposed to not be prone to warping as most others are. I don't really like the colors of their mat though. If I don't buy Martelli I will likely buy Quilter's Select, as I like the colors, black on one side and grey on the other.

Martelli advises that you must use their cutter on their mats otherwise they won't hold up well. Has anyone used other rotary cutters on the Martelli mats and how has the mat held up?
Old 11-17-2018, 11:15 AM

I haven't had any issues. I use olfa
Old 11-17-2018, 06:50 PM

Have a Martelli mat that has been in constant use for at least 10 years, I cut something almost every day. My go to cutter is Olfa with Olfa blades, and yes it did take a little getting used to the yellow and purple sides. But now I find
yellow for darker fabrics and purple for lighter. My blades last much longer than with any other mats that I have used, and I have used a lot.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:33 AM

I purchased my Martelli mat earlier this year and use both Martelli and Olfa rotary cutters on my mat...both cutters work the same on the mat and I haven’t noticed any sign of “wear and tear” on the mat itself. I really like the mat and have gotten used to the colors. I also use Quilter’s Select rulers with my mat.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:55 AM

I have one of their rotating cutting mats and I use whatever rotary cutter I have on hand......its yellow handled. Love my mat as its self-healing too.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:16 AM

Their mats will work with ANY cutter and are the VERY BEST that is on the market! Today is last day of their 50% off sale so order now...…….
Old 11-18-2018, 12:14 PM

I just ordered the big one to go on the cutting table hubby is making. I’m so excited! I don’t mind the colors, anything that helps me see more clearly is A-OK with me.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:00 PM

If u hurry u can get their mats at about half off. I love their mats. Bought them on sale. Have the great big one for my big sewing cabinet have the next size for my other sewing cabinet and two or three smaller ones on other surfaces. Also pkg of blades r $22. L n r hand cutters r $12.50

the sale is on right now but won’t be much longer
Old 11-19-2018, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ravenhill View Post
I have been thinking about getting a Martelli cutting mat to replace my warped Olfa mat. However, I don't like some of the things I have read about their rotary cutters, so I want to use another cutter on their mat. I love that their mats are supposed to not be prone to warping as most others are. I don't really like the colors of their mat though. If I don't buy Martelli I will likely buy Quilter's Select, as I like the colors, black on one side and grey on the other.

Martelli advises that you must use their cutter on their mats otherwise they won't hold up well. Has anyone used other rotary cutters on the Martelli mats and how has the mat held up?
I have several of the Martelli mats and I use their cutters or what ever one is closest to my hand. I love their mats and you can't go wrong with a purchase from them. I will say this though, I recently purchased a small Quilter's Select mat and I love it. So you can't go wrong with either type.